Chapter Three

Please Be Civil

Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real-Cormac McCarthy

-Cormac McCarthy

{Emma's Perspective}

"Does this have too much blue in it?" Lois asked.

I sat on the windowsill, watching as Jordan groaned leaning on the step ladder. I hit my head against the wall.  "I still like the Huntsman's Tribute" Clark shrugged from in front of me.

Both me and Jordan groaned, hitting his head off the ladder. I was too tired for this, she's been painting stripes of different colours for ages now. "Dad, I'm pretty sure that's just slang for 'poop' " Jon huffed from beside his father. "Hey" Clark said, obviously offended by the statement. I sat up properly, "I think the word you're looking for is crap" I smiled at the twin, earning a snicker from the brothers. "Jonathan, don't be gross" Lois raised her eyebrow at him, she even pulled the full name card.

"You" Lois pointed at me with her roller. "Watch your language" I raised my hand in surrender. "Sure thing Cap" I smirked at her, the twins getting my reference as they laughed.

"Also, he's not wrong" Lois told Clark. "Mom, can we just pick something?" Jordan asked, also wanting this torture to end. "Sweetie, this is an important decision" Lois defended, giving all of us a serious look.

"We're finally putting our own stamp on this house" Lois finished, making me roll my eyes at her. "If you'd make up your mind" Jon and I said together. Lois walked up to Jon and took a brush out of the paint she had opened. "Emma" Lois smiled sweetly, beckoning me over to Jon's side. I huffed, lazily walking next to the twin. She waved the paintbrush in front of our faces.

"What about this colour? You like this colour?" Lois asked us, looking at Jon and me in the eyes. "Yeah, it's fine" Jon shrugged at Lois, looking at me briefly. "Yeah?" Lois asked me next. "Yeah" I copied, not even sure why she was asking me. Lois nodded before she swiped the paint on Jon's clothes and my face. I looked at her, my mouth was now wide open.

"It's on" I let out a breathy laugh, grabbing a paintbrush and painting her hair with 'Huntsman Tribute'. "Anything but Clark's colour!" Lois shrieked as Jon and I chased her around the room.

Jordan and Clark began their own little fight before Clark had accidentally hit me instead of Jordan. "Emma I am so s-" I cut him off, grabbing Jordan's brush from his hand, striking him in the chest. I raised my eyebrows at him, silently challenging him. "Scared?" I snickered, waving the paintbrush tauntingly in his face.

Clark rolled his eyes before swiping my face with a pinky pale paint. We got into a little match while the twins ambushed Lois. Soon enough, I moved away, changing targets to the twins. While she was swiping Jon, I turned to see Jordan behind a very quiet Clark.

"Clark?" I called out before the man left in a large gust of wind. I was taken aback, not even noticing that Lois had pulled me back towards her. "That was fucking awesome"