(C23) Epilogue Part 2: True Hope

While Everest and Marshall finally got some rest after some of the worst days of their lives, Ryder and the other pups walked past them, silently walking with sad looks on their faces that the two of them had to go through all of this. Ryder took notice of this as they continued walking to the mission control area of the Air Patroller.

Once they were in the mission control room though, Ryder instantly communicated with Robo Dog: "Robo Dog, take us back home to Adventure Bay" Ryder said as the Air Patroller blasted off to Adventure Bay.

Deciding to do something for Marshall and Everest once they had began flying, Skye spoke up from her seat. "Ryder, I'm going to go check on Everest and Marshall" Skye said as the Air Patroller was flying.

"Sounds good, I'm sure the two of them will appreciate it Skye" Ryder replied as the pup walked out of the mission control area.

Once the Air Patroller had took off, Ruben and Butch watched it through two pair of binoculars, as Ruben spoke up. "Butch, Marshall and Everest will never escape from us... we still have things to do. Let's go plan, also you can drive" Ruben told Butch as both of them smirked while heading back to their van.

As Butch walked alongside Ruben, he felt the need to reply. "You're completely right Ruben, this is just the beginning" he said as he got into the driver's seat of the van, driving as the Air Patroller flew out of sight.

And as Everest kept resting next to Marshall while he was passed out, she heard another pup jump up to the couch, not noticing at first, Everest began to softly cry, tears falling onto the leather of the couch right underneath her face.

Everest then slowly looked up as she heard the pup clear their throat. As she looked up she saw Skye there, lying down with her eyes open in silence. "Oh s-sorry... Skye, I didn't notice you were there" she silently said, feeling bad for not noticing Skye.

Seeing Everest was really upset for understandable reasons, Skye took a moment to respond, deciding to address Everest feeling bad for not noticing her first. "Hey Everest" Skye said, while she put a paw on Everest's back, pulling her into a hug with her forelegs before continuing to speak, their noses practically touching. "It's okay that you didn't notice me, you and Marshall are clearly distressed about everything that happened, so I came to check on you, you know?" Skye then licked one of Everest's eyes to remove some tears, which put a small smile on Everest's face.

Beginning to feel Marshall getting up, Everest replied to Skye. "Thanks... Skye, I appreciate it, you're right, ever since what happened all those years back with Ruben and Butch and our parents, me and Marshall have been extremely distressed, traumatized even. So we tried to bury it, hoping it would never come back to us in the future and we could move forward. But as we all know... that didn't happen and we had to face the past in the hardest way possible. I just... I want to thank you, the other pups and Ryder for standing beside us as we went through all of this" Everest visibly calmed down a bit after saying that, which put a bit of relief on Skye's face and the others, who could hear everything the two were saying.

In the mission control area, the pups and Ryder just sat in silence as the Air Patroller continued flying, trying to find the words they wanted to use in response to Everest and Skye's conversation.

Ryder ended up speaking first, hoping he could put his thoughts about everything into words. "I remember when we found Marshall on the beach a bit more clearly now. He had so many injuries and when me and Chase asked him about it in the lookout, he said they were a product of what got him here if I remember correctly at least. But knowing everything him and Everest went through in the past and in the present... it's horrific, everything we did for them is the least we could do." He finished his reply confidently, hoping one of the pups would respond.