𝗪𝗼𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗕𝗲𝘀𝘁: 𝗥𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗯𝗼𝘄 𝗤𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗩𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀 𝗘𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

So this is my opinion on the best and worst villains of Rainbow Quest. You don't need to agree with every ranking, but at least read why I chose each character for each rank before deciding to disagree.

Hope you enjoy! :D

(Also, thank you for over 400 reads! We're already halfway to 500!)

───*.:*.:*.*.:*.:*. ───

#10: The First Curse
Okay, I'm sorry, but this guy literally had no character motive to be evil. Motives are what villains so interesting and important, and without one, the villain looks kinda bland and doesn't particularly stand out. I think TFC was created the fill the plot hole about curses, but still-

Not to mention he had a bland personality and no backstory to explain himself. We didn't get to see much about him, and he probably would be higher on the list if we got to see why he chose to be evil.

#9: Nightmare Steve
It's the same argument from TFC here. Nightmare, if you think about it, had no clear character motive either. All we saw was that he was powerful and had the Darkness. No real motive to have that, though.

Plus he was just the stereotypical villain when he was first introduced. Even though he killed Sabre, it doesn't make him any more interesting as a character.

#8: Faceless
So, same thing here. No motivation. BUT, the redeeming thing about Faceless is that we got to see his backstory and how he became who he was in Rainbow Quest. The only question is why did he choose to be evil? Even though Beef carried the curse, he was still a good person when he changed. So why give that up?

Personally, I think that if Faceless was around longer, he could've had more potential to be a better villain and possibly team up with someone else, like with Reverse for example. That would've been cool to see.

#7: Reverse Steve
Now we're getting into the relatable villains. Rainbow Red, formerly Spark, wanted to be like Colle, who we now know is the Second Hero. No one can blame him; if someone you knew was a heroic figure, you'd try to be like them too. However, Spark took it to an extreme and went insane as a result.

He had character depth since we got to see his story in Steve Legends, which is one thing I love about Rainbow Red. If there's anything better than knowing character motives, it's character depth for a villain that isn't cliche (like wanting revenge). Rainbow Red fits in that category perfectly.

#6: Elemental Steve
So I personally view Elemental's case as one of an overprotective brother to the extreme. We can also understand the motive here: keep Time safe from the world and being destroyed. That's just how siblings work, even if many people won't admit it.

Plus, we got to see Elemental's slow downfall into his villain arc, which is one thing I loved watching. It made perfect sense, and didn't disrupt the plot too much.

And then he also had personality, another key part of any villain. We even saw his character development and how he changed from someone who loved eating pumpkin pies and chilling in lava tubs, to a cold-hearted and mean character. The transition between the two stages was really well done in my opinion.

#5: Sol
Yep, Sol is the 5th best villain in this list, and with good reason. His motives were clear, we saw his story, and decent personality.

Let's start with his motive. Sol's motive to be evil was the Yellow Leader letting him go. This is definitely understandable. If you helped or worked for someone for so long and loyally, then get let go in just a snap of the fingers, you would be mad too. That's relatable in a lot of ways, not just in the work sense.

Then there's Sol's story. There isn't much to it, other than that we saw him as a loyal and proud assistant to Yellow Leader. That could've been expanded a bit before we saw him be a villain, though.

Now for his personality. He had quite a bit as Sol, which is one thing about him that stands out to me. He was also very smart, deceiving, witty, and persuasive, which is a rare combination for a villain to have.

#4: Dark Steve
Dark is definitely a stand-out villain to me. He's the only one to ever have a redemption arc, unlike every other villain. He also went from a sidekick villain to a hero, but back to a sidekick later, which doesn't happen often.

What makes Dark one of the best villains in Rainbow Quest was his redemption arc in season 5. He got to reveal a kinder, more positive personality, and show that he wasn't all bad, despite being made up of Darkness. It makes him unique in that sense, and how he got a chance to redeem himself as a good person.

#3: Shadow Sabre
Shadow came in really close with the top 2 villains. He had good development throughout the series, which I found enjoyable. He was originally created to control Sabre, but later took his side to help him stop the Demon Steves before becoming his own villain. He is what can be classified as an "underlying villain," which is one of the best villain types to exist.

He also had personality, which was also enjoyable to see, as well as a good motive to betray Sabre. Would you want to be connected to someone and forced to do what they say, just because you have more knowledge than them in a certain area? No. This can make Shadow's motive relatable to some people.

#2: Void Steve
So this was really close with number 1, which you all can guess who it is, but the reason I put Void at second is because of how in-depth his character is. In fact, he has to be the most in-depth villain ever introduced in Rainbow Quest. We could see why he chose to create the Darkness, and what his motive is.

It was foreshadowed that there was no light in Seer's future, and he became scared for what he would become. Reasonable, since anyone would be scared of themselves if they were told that. Plus, he did what he needed to to keep the world safe, even though he became a villain as a result. So really, he was keeping the world safe, even in the wrong ways.

The other redeeming thing about Void is how we got to see his story in Steve Legends, and how it affected him in Rainbow Quest. Again, he's the most in-depth character we've seen, which makes him such a good villain.

And then there's his personality. When he was Seer, we could see he was so full of life and happiness. However, he felt pressure and fell to it, resulting in a drastic change in character and becoming the darkest villain we could've possibly gotten. He even had personality as an evil character, which can also redeem him as the second best villain.

#1: Corrupted Rainbow Steve
Now you may be wondering, "Elysia, why is Rainbow the best villain? It's definitely Void," and there's a reason for this.

We know Rainbow's motive to join Void was that he broke under pressure and was manipulated by him. Honestly, who wouldn't break under pressure of being the protector of the world, and knowing that you can't save everyone? He's relatable because everyone faces pressure at some point in their lives, like peer pressure or something of the sort, and everyone has a breaking point. Rainbow reached his and became a villain as a result.

Then there's his story. We got to see it from start to finish, and how his personality changed after he became a villain. It makes sense, especially after he reached his breaking point. Then we got to see the depth of his character and how certain situations affected him as a hero and villain, which I loved watching.

If Rainbow got to live a little longer, I can guarantee that he would've had a redemption arc, and see how he and Sabre fix everything Rainbow did before returning to the right state of mind. That is what makes Rainbow the best villain character to me.

——

Published: 12/8/2021