Part 3

Listening to the world around me was the first thing I usually do when I wake up. The soft noises of my mother rummaging in the kitchen weren't what I heard this time. I had been laid down on a futon, a thick blanket on top of me and a warmth next to me. The persons' muffled breathing was soft next to me, occasionally stroking my hair.  I faced towards the person next to me confused.

"Hello?"  The most I received in response was a muffled hum. I'm sure I look beyond confused now. I reach out towards the person, my hand resting on their cheek. There's a cloth stretched across their face. I scrunch my brows as I continue investigating. Brushing over the cloth I find high cheekbones and a smooth forehead. Furthering the search, I feel the gentle peak of their nose not pointy or particularly bumpy either. I stop when I feel a cylinder instead of lips.

"What?" I'm more than a bit confused. "Is this... Bamboo? Why?"

The door slid open across the room and Tanjiro's chipper voice reached me.

"Are you awake? Oh! Nezuko give her some space please," He was getting closer.

"Is this bamboo? Is it uncomfortable? Why is she muzzled?" My questions spilled out before I was even fully sat up. I pull Nezuko to sit next to me, her long hair brushing along the blankets and my kimono.

"Well, Nezuko is a demon (Y/N)," He quickly catches himself and continues speaking. "She's not dangerous at all, and she hasn't eaten a single human. Nezuko is my sister; our family was killed about two years ago and she's all I have left, so I'm going to save her. To find a way to turn her back into a human."

I nod in understanding, listening to the demon next to me. Reaching to her, I accidentally set my hand on her face. I pull back and hold out my hand in front of me.

"Sorry Nezuko, can I have your hand please? I promise I won't do anything to you."

Nezuko hums and Tanjiro seems to understand her.

"It's okay, you can if you want to Nezuko." With that a small hand is placed in my own. I feel the soft hands contrasted by long pointed nails; her hands are unlike any humans I've felt. Must be a demon thing, I think to myself. The creases in her palms and the ridges of her knuckles tell me all I need to know.

"You're missing your family, but you don't feel as though you lost them. You see them in others and want to protect them, don't you?"

Tanjiro seemed amazed, "How'd you know? Is it the same way you knew me from holding my sword?"

I nod towards him and release Nezuko's hand.

"I don't know how or why, but I can feel things when I touch them. Not in the usual sense, it's like I can feel the persons feelings for myself, what they thought. Similar to your Nichirin, although it's just an extension of yourself, so I don't have the full picture yet, so to speak."

"Thats amazing! It's like how I use my sense of smell, I can smell different emotions and strong thoughts someone has. I can even track someone through their sent if I need to." Tanjiro sounds excited and I can't help but smile at him.

"Thats very interesting actually," I shift and move to sit closer stopping when our knees touch. "What do I smell like? I hope I don't stink." I giggle to myself as Tanjiro flusters again.

"No! Of course not, (Y/n)!" He quickly inhales through his nose and seems to think for a second.

"You smell curious and trustworthy, like fresh mountain air in the spring when the animals first come out again." I can't help but to smile softly at him. I wish I could see him; he sounds so hopeful and full of life.