Part 8

The burials went much quicker with Inosuke helping, and while I felt bad for being unable to help much, Tanjiro and Zenitsu agreed that helping keep Inosuke in check was enough.

By the time we had fully finished, dusk had settled upon us. The boys were praying and I had convinced Inosuke to practice his headbutting skills to keep him busy. The cawing of Tanjrios crow interrupted our silence.

"Descend the mountain! Descend the mountain! Alright everyone, it's time to follow yours truly!"

While Tanjiro gathered up Nezuko's box, Zenitsu helped me up from my spot and into my shoes. Looks like he'll be guiding me for now. Pulling me towards the group, Zenitsu stood me between Tanjiro and himself.

Inosuke, being himself, insisted Tanjiro finish their fight, while Tanjiro just brushed him off. How Tanjiro had enough patience, I'll never know because he distracted Inosuke into practicing his headbutt once more as we walked.

The evening air felt refreshing as we walked down the mountain, the stress of today rolling off my shoulders. I let out a sigh of contentment.

"That was a big sigh, are you feeling alright?" Zenitsu squeezed my hand as he spoke, gaining my attention.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Today was just very long and I'm glad it's almost over," I explained squeezing his hand back. I could feel him blush at my actions, but he didn't make a comment so I kept talking.

"You did great today, by the way. You protected Shoichi, right?"

"Yea I guess, although I feel like he protected me. I'm pretty weak so I don't know how I survived." I smiled at his honesty.

"Maybe you helped each other. I know I draw strength from the encouragement of those around me; although I know I'm weak myself, I do what I can."

"You help out a lot by just being around, you comforted the kids, you had food when we were hungry, you're really smart too." I felt myself blush at Zenitsus words.

"Thank you Zenitsu. That's sweet of you to say," I thought for a moment. "Uhm, what do you look like? Your voice is kind, when you're not screaming anyway."

I felt Zenitsu deadpan for a moment, before stopping to think. Absentmindedly rubbing his thumb across the back of my hand, he answered.

"I have a yellow haori with white triangles on it, I have yellow hair as well. I'm about as tall as Tanjiro, so a little bit taller than you- oh! And I have a handsome face with honey brown eyes. So, I definitely look like I should be your husband," Zenitsu's confident description made me laugh.

I could feel Zenitsu deadpan again, which made me laugh more.

"You don't have to be so harsh (Y/N)."

"Haha- no it's just," I took a deep breath to calm my laughter, but I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. "Your confidence, it's endearing. You sound very cute, Zenitsu."

Zenitsu melted at my words, nearly collapsing as his cheeks caught fire. I seem to have left him speechless, so I let the conversation end. The caravan stopped when the kids announced that they could go home on their own from here and Zenitsu found his voice once more, pleading Shoichi to stay and protect him.

I couldn't help but giggle at their arguing. Tanjiro ended up having to knock out Zenitsu to calm him down. After waving the kids off with a bird barf wisteria charm, the crow called for us to move again. I held my hand out, hoping Tanjiro could guide me.

"Sorry (Y/N), I can't guide you now since I have to carry Zenitsu. Inosuke, would you mind guiding (Y/N)? You just have to hold her hand and make sure she doesn't trip or bump into anything." Inosuke scoffed at Tanjiros request.