Part 12

I awoke when we arrived at Shinobus' estate, the Kakushi described it to me. It's a large manor, that we should be grateful is open to us, with a surrounding field and forest, that Lady Shinobu will graciously allow us to use, a zen garden on one side and a regular courtyard on the other, we're so lucky that she's allowing us to stay here. They described the rest of it very similarly as we made our way to the medical wing, which was apparently state of the art and that Lady Shinobu was generous for caring for us.

I was getting very tired of hearing about this strange Lady and her so called generosity. Was it really generosity if your servants keep patting you on the back for it? The Kakushi felt reverent and fearful of Shinobu, but there was an underlying curiosity. Did she not normally take people in? Or were they curious about us? They knew I wasn't a demon slayer, but they haven't said anything to me about it, or asked me anything.

It was hard to answer the medics questions when I had so many of my own, but they told me my hands would be okay and that they'd get a servant to take me to a bath later. When Zenitsu woke up, he nearly fainted at the sight of my (H/C) hair and face covered in dried blood, so it was probably overdue.

When I had held Zenitsu last night, I couldn't find his arms or torso. They told me that his body had shrunk, and he was nearly just a head this morning. I was reassured that with time and medicine he'd be back to his regular self.

"Can you please go take a bath or at least wipe yourself off? You look scary," Zenitsu whimpered, I ignored him and reached out to feel for him.

"I will after I make sure you're okay, last night was terrifying and I need to know you're okay."

He went silent as I touched him, the doctor had bandaged my hands after giving me a few stitches across where my fingers join my palm. I was given something to help deal with the pain, but I was advised against using my hands for anything. I brushed the tips of my fingers over his forehead, down to his cheeks and over his nose. I couldn't help the blush I felt appear on my cheeks as I touched his lips, but I shook it away and kept feeling him.

His neck was shorter than the normal humans should have been, and his shoulders were as skinny as his head. Even though my hands were bandaged, I could still feel his heartbeat, slightly faster than it should be, but still beating. He was nervous and flustered, but alive.

I let out a sigh of relief and brought my hands back to myself, wincing as I clasped them together.

He's alive, I'm alive. At the very least we still have each other. I haven't heard from Tanjiro or Inosuke yet, and although their loss would hurt, I wasn't going to be alone.

"Okay, thank you Zenitsu. Please don't scare me like that again,"

"I-" Zenitsu started to say something but I shook my head and continued.

"It's okay, you wouldn't have if you had had a choice. I'm going to take that bath so I don't look so scary anymore and I'll come back right after,"

I turned around, with my hands out and walked until I felt a wall. I started moving to the left when Zenitsu called from his bed.

"To the right, about 6 steps."

I nodded my thanks and found the door, exiting the room.

I took a deep breath, feeling my throat tighten. I'm okay, I won't be alone, these thought circled my head. I sniffled wiped my face with my wrist, composing myself.

"Are you okay?" A servant had approached from down the hall sounding more than a little worried.

"Yes, can you please take me to the bathing room?" I nodded and reached towards them.