Part 10

Waking up was much the same as falling asleep, the boys were rowdy, the nice old lady fed us, and the doctor checked on the boys. Every day the boys would help me train with total concentration breathing, my sense of awareness growing sharper with each day. I was proud of myself for catching on so quickly.

At first it was just Inosuke yelling at me without really giving me instruction, but when Tanjiro overheard a "lesson" he stepped in to help too. Tanjiro helped explain what total concentration breathing actually is and what it does. Inosuke was better at helping me put it to practical use, occasionally throwing things at me to test if I was actually using it to sense my surroundings. Eventually Zenitsu got roped into helping me train as well, more out of his desire to try to flirt with me than for any practical reason. Zenitsu was helpful for getting exercise by running away from Inosuke when he would chase me around to throw things at me or demanding a fight from Zenitsu or Tanjiro.

While at the wisteria house I also learned to better communicate with Nezuko. Since I can feel her feelings by touching her, we hold hands so when I talk I can feel her emotions on the subject of conversation. If she has a strong enough thought I can feel that too, like the day I learned that she sees humans as her family. Sometimes that makes me worried on weather or not she understands that I'm not related to her, but Tanjiro insists that she chooses to be friendly because she likes me as me.

Finally the day came when they boys were well enough to leave and we gathered at the entrance of the property. I was confident enough to walk unassisted now, which I was proud of myself for all my progress in such a short time.

"We're heading out now. Thank you for everything," Tanjiro thanks Hisa, his sincerity rolling off him in waves. I smile at the genuine boy as I bow to Hisa myself, expressing my own gratitude.

"Now then, for good luck."

I've heard of this ceremony before, but I never wanted to participate. The idea of sparks flying at me always made me worry about being set on fire. Unconsciously these thoughts made me step back bumping into Inosuke in the process.

He was just as hesitant as I was, if not more as he shoved me behind him and yelled.

"What do you think you're doing, old hag?!"

Although I knew I could handle being pushed around a little, Inosuke always found a way to catch me off guard. Even with my total concentration breathing, his pushing made me lose my balance for a moment, I stumbled and had to stick my arms out to rebalance myself.

I smiled to myself as the boys started arguing again. Getting to know them has been fun. Inosukes firey personality and high temper just hid the fact that he didn't know how to interact with others. Zenitsu was dramatic in everything, but his sincerity was just as overwhelming. And Tanjiro is the calm between the two storms, level headed and easy going, until he saw life being undervalued, then he was a tsunami all on his own.

The thought made me frown to myself. Eventually I'd have to go home, back to my mom and the lonely life of an apprentice to a grouchy blacksmith.

"C'mon (N/Y/N)! Or we'll leave without you!" Inosuke pulled me from my thoughts, patting my shoulder. I nod and brush away the thoughts, I want to enjoy my time with them.

"Yea, let's go!" Smiling, I turn and run away from the wisteria house.

"Wait! (Y/N)! You shouldn't lead! You don't know which way we're going!" Zenitsu yelled after me, catching up quickly.

Tanjiro headed up beside me grasping my hand. "I lead us. We're headed to Mount Natagumo! North-Northeast of here!"

"I wanna hold her hand too!"