Chapter Five

Y/n's POV

Y/n's POV

"Care to explain what it is we are doing?" I asked, as Natasha started driving away from the compound. "We're going to D.C." She smiled. "What?! Why?" I asked. "S.H.I.E.L.D. has a mission for us." She shrugged. "IS that all you're gonna tell me?" I raised an eyebrow. Nat let out a long sigh.

"We are on our way to pick up Steve, then we meet up with some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents then we are going to save a hostage from a ship called, The Lemurian Star." she said. "See that wasn't so hard, I said, nudging her shoulder. "Get ready because it's gonna be a long ride.

***

A six hour drive later and we're finally in D.C. Text Steve 'Mission Alert. Extraction Imminent. Meet at the curb.' with a smiley face." Nat said, handing me her phone. I quickly texted Steve. Nat pulled up to the curve and rolled my window down. Steve was talking to a dark skinned man, with a grey sweatshirt and grey shorts with a green stripe going down the sides.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? We're here to pick up a fossil." Nat said. "That's hilarious." Steve said, sarcasm lasted in his voice. I got out of the front seat and moved to the back. The man he was with bent down to see us. "How you doing?" He asked. "Hey." Nat said, I just smiled and waved. "Can't run everywhere." Steve said. "No, you can't." The man laughed, as Nat revved the engine before driving off.

***

We were now on a jet on our way to the ship where Nat said the mission was. "Target os a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star. They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago." Rumlow said. "Any demands?" Steve asked. "Billion and a half." Rumlow said. "Why so steep?" Steve asked.

"Because it's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s" Rumlow said. "So it's not off-course. It's trespassing." Steve said. "I'm sure they have a good reason." Nat said. "You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor." Steve said. "Relax. It's not that complicated." Nat said. "How many pirates?" I asked.

"25. Top mercs led by this guy. George Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Division." Rumlow said, as a picture of a pale man in his late 30's popped up on the computer screen. "He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had 36 kill missions. These guys got a rep for maximum casualties." Rumlow said.

"Hostages?" Steve asked. "Oh, mostly techs. One officer. Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley." Rumlow said. "What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship? Alright, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you and Y/n kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get them out. Let's move." Steve said.

"S.T.R.I.K.E., you heard the Cap. Gear up." Rumlow said. Nat and I were strapping on a parachute. "Secure channel seven." Steve said. "Seven secure." Nat and I said, putting our earpieces in. "Did you do anything fun Saturday night?" Nat asked. "Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so, no, not really." Steve said. "Coming up on the drop zone, Cao." The pilot said over the jet speakers.

Steve hit the button to open the back of the jet. "You know, if you ask Kristen out, from Statistics, she'd probably say yes." Nat said. "That's why I don't ask." Steve said, strapping on his helmet. "What? Are you too shy, or too scared?" I asked, earning a small laugh from Natasha. "Too busy!" Steve yelled as he jumped off the jet.

"Was he wearing a parachute?" One of the other men on the jet asked. "No." Rumlow laughed. Nat nodded at me before her and I jumped off the jet. When we got closer to the ship we saw Steve taking out some of the men. One man held a gun to Steve's head but Rumlow pulled out his gun and shot the man, as he landed on the deck.

"Thanks." Steve said. "Yeah. You seemed pretty helpless without me." Rumlow joked as the rest of us landed on the dock. "What about the nurse that lives across the hall from you?" Wanda said. "I only met her once but she seems kind of nice." I pipe in, smiling.

"Really? You're helping her?" Steve asked. I nodded. "You two secure the engine room, then you can find me a date." He said. "We're multi-tasking." Natasha said, as we jumped over the side of the ship onto a lower level.

As we made our way up a set of stairs we saw one of the pirates on the phone. "Okay." He said, hanging up the phone. He turned around to be met with a smirking Natasha. "Hey, Sailor." She said. After a few seconds of silence she kicked the back of his legs, causing him to scream in pain.

She used her built in grappling hook, and swung it around his neck before kicking off of him and flipping down the stair well. I used my powers to levitate and follow her as she shot a few other pirates with her guns. The ones she didn't shoot I blasted with my magic.

We both landed on one of the landings, leading to another staircase. We could see two more men underneath us. Natasha shot both of them through the holes in the floor. She turned to me with a smile. "Nice shot." I said, returning the smile. "Let's get to the engine room now." I said, as we made our way back down the stairs.

"Target's acquired." One of the agents said, through the comms. "S.T.R.I.K.E. in position." Rumlow said. "Natasha, Y/n, what's your status?" Steve asked. We quietly dropped from the ceiling behind one of the pirates. "Status, girls." He said, as Natasha ran after the man. "Hang on!" We shouted as Natasha jumped onto the man, shocking him with her bracelets. When he fell to the ground she rolled off of him and onto her feet.

By this time two more pirates ran around the corner. Natasha fought one while I used some of the combat skills she taught me to take down the other. "Engine room secure." We said, into our mics. "I like how you didn't use your mage but used your newly developed skills." Natasha winked. "Thank you. I figured that I shouldn't rely on just my magic." I shrugged. "That's a good idea." She smiled.

I went to meet up with Rumlow, when I noticed Natasha was gone. "What?" I mumbled to myself. "Hostages en route to extraction. Romanoff missed the rendezvous point, Cap. Hostels are still in play." Rumlow said, into the comms. "I'm on my way to you now Cap." I said. "Natasha, Batroc's on the move. Circle back to Rumlow and protect the hostages." Steve said, getting no answer. "Natasha." He said, as I ran up next to him.

"Where'd she go?" He asked. "I don't know. She was with me one second and gone the next." I shrugged. Then Batroc came from around the corner. Steve blocked his hit with his shield. "I got this, go find Natasha." Steve said, blocking another one of Batroc's hits. I nodded, running off to find Natasha.

I found Natasha in the communications room. "What are you doing in here?" I asked, walking over to her. Before she's able to answer my question Steve and Batroc crash through the door. Steve knocks Bartoc out. "Well, this is awkward." Natasha said, getting Steve to turn his head towards us.

"What are you doing?" Steve asked, walking towards us. "Backing up the hard drive. It's a good habit to get into." she answered. "Rumlow needed your help, and instead of having Y/n, help out I had to send her to look for you. What the hell are you doing here?" He asked.

I walked over from the other side to look at the computer screen. "You're saving S.H.I.E.L.D. intel?" I asked. "Whatever I can get my hand on." she said, looking up at me. "Our mission is to rescue hostages." Steve said. "No, that's your guys' mission, and you've done it beautifully." Natasha said, trying to walk past Steve.

Steve grabbed her by the arm stopping her. "You just jeopardized this whole operation." HE said. "I think that's overstating things." Natashas said. Then Batroc stands up Throwing A grenade at us. Steve hits it away with his shield. We then run and hide behind a wall, while I use my magic to create a blue barrier around us. "Okay. That's one's on me." Natasha said, as I let the barrier disappear. "You're damn right." Steve said, standing up ,then helping me up before we walked away.

Word Count: 1492