Chapter Thirteen

Y/n's POV

Y/n's POV

    We all moved to the lounge. Wanda and I were sitting on one of the couches. I rested my head on her shoulder, while she rested hers on top of mine. I let out a deep breath as Sam and Rhodes argued. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have." Rhodes said.

    "So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asked. "117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'" Rhodes argued.

    "How long are you gonna play both sides?" Sam asked. "I have an equation." Vision said, from the other side of Wanda. "Oh, this will clear it up." Sam said. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Vision explained.

    "Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked, turning a page in the Accords. "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict...breeds catastrophe. Oversight...Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Vision stated. "Boom." Rhodes said.

    "Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal." Natasha said, looking over at Tony who was laying on the second couch. "It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve commented.

    "Boy, you know me so well." Tony said, slowly getting off the couch. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain." Toney said, walking towards the kitchen area.

    "It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" He said. He then placed his phone in a fruit basket and showed us a hologram photo of a dark skinned man.

    "Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA...had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul...before he parked it behind a desk. See the world.  Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." Tony then paused, to take some Advil.

    There was a moment of silence before Tony spoke again. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys." He said.

    "Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve said. "Who said we're giving up?" Tony asked. "We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame." Steve said.

    "I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not Hydra." Rhodes said. "No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change." Steve argued.

    "That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing." Tony said, walking over and standing next to the chair Steve's sitting in.

    "Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own." Steve said.

    "If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty." Tony said, looking over at me and Wanda. "You're saying they'll come for me." Wanda said. I grabbed her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. "We would protect you." Vision said.

    "Maybe Tony's right." Natasha said, earning the attention from everyone in the room. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..." "Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asked.

"I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back." Natasha said. "Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you, or did you agree with me?" Tony asked. "I want to take it back now." Natasha said.

"No, no, no, you can't retract it. Thank you. Okay, case closed. I win." Tony said. Then Steve looked at his phone. "Uh, no I don't think so." I said, sitting up and crossing my arms. "Really? You agree with Capsule? Come on, Y/n. They could come for you just like Wanda." Tony said. "So, I would rather be locked up with my sister then to not have a choice." I argued. "I have to go." Steve said, standing up and walking out of the room.

    I looked over at Sam and raised an eyebrow. He shrugged in return. I got up and followed after him, while the others continued arguing. "Hey. You alright?" I asked, walking down the stair well he was standing in.

    "Yeah. Peggy, the girl from that photo, in my compass. I was just informed that she passed." HE explained. "Oh, Steve. I'm so sorry." I said, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. He nodded, as a tear rolled down his cheek. "Her funeral is in three days. It's in London." He said, "How about I come with you." I smiled. "I'll come too." We looked up and Saw Sam walking down the stairs. "Thanks guys." Steve smiled.

***

    We were now in London. Sam and I were sitting in the front row, as Steve helped carry Peggy's casket. He then joined us and the ceremony began. "And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." The priest said.

    Sam and I noticed that it was Agent 13 from S.H.I.E.L.D. Sam then nudged Steve, who looked up at Sharon with a confused look. "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." Sharon said, looking over at Steve. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. as a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She said, looking back at Steve, who moved his gaze to the floor.

    "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage, in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move...it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say 'no, you move.'" Sharon finished.

***

    Sam and I were waiting for Steve, giving him a moment to himself. While Sam was scrolling through his phone, I was leaning against the wall, picking at my nails. "Shit. this isn't good." I heard Sam mumble. "What?" I asked. "Come on. Let's get Steve." HE replied, walking off, me following suit.

    "Steve. There's something you gotta see." Sam said, as we stopped in front of Steve and Sharon, who were standing by the elevator. We then made our way to Sharon's hotel room, where Sam turned on the news. "A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect, who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, The Winter Soldier. The infamous Hydra agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations." The news man said. "I have to go to work." Sharon said, walking over to us, after ending her phone call.

Word Count: 1443