Chapter Twenty-One

Y/n's POV

Y/n's POV

    We were all aboard the Milano, which was Rocket's spaceship. We were about to leave the atmosphere when Rocket spoke up. "Okay. Who here hasn't been to space?" HE asked, turning around in his seat to face all of us.

    We all raise our hands except for Carol and Thor. "uh, why?" I asked. Which caused Carol to chuckle. "You better not throw up on my ship." Rocket said, as we all lowered our hands. "Approaching jump in three...two, one." Nebula said.

    All of us were pushed back against our chairs as we jumped through space. I was mesmerized by the different bright colors that flashed before my eyes. After a few seconds the ship came to a slow and steady stop.

    Carol got out of her seat and left the ship. "I'll head down for recon," Carol said, through her comms as she flew down to the planet we tracked Thanos to be on. The rest of us unbuckled our seatbelts and stretched.

    I was standing with Steve and Natasha. Steve was looking at his compose with Peggy's picture, I was looking down at my feet, and Natasha was looking at a tablet. I looked up as I heard Steve shut the compose.

    "This is gonna work, Steve." Natasha said. "I know it will." Steve said. He let out a sigh as he turned to look at Natasha. "'Cause I don't know what I'm gonna do if it doesn't." He said. "Me either." I mumbled, playing with Bucky's dog tag that hung around my neck.

    "No satellites. No ships. No armies. No ground defenses of any kind. It's just him." Carol said, as she flew up to the window in front of the ship. "And that's enough." Nebula said. We all then sat back down in our seats as Rocket landed the ship on the planet.

    As we exerted the ship I took in my surroundings, and I won't lie. It was a very beautiful place. We saw a small cabin up ahead and made a plane before we attacked. Carol sent a blast through the wall at Thanos before she flew in, knocking him to the ground.

    While she attacked him, Bruce emerged from under the building in the HulkBuster armor. Rhodes then came from behind and grabbed Thanos' other hand while Bruce held onto the one with the gauntlet melted to it.

    Thor flew into the house and stood in front of Thanos, me following behind him. I watched as Thor cut off Thanos' arm containing the gauntlet. The others then walked through the hole in the wall.

Rocket rolled Thanos's arm and that's when we saw the infinity stones were missing. "Oh, no." Rocket mumbled. The rest of us looked down at the gauntlet. "Where are they?" Steve asked. "Answer the question." Carol said, as her grip around Thanos' neck tightened.

"The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose beyond temptation." Thanos said. "You murdered trillions!" Bruce yelled, as he pushed Thanos across the room. "You should be grateful." Thanos said, causing Bruce to punch him in the face.

I let out a shaky breath. "Where are the stones?" I asked, as my eyes started to tear up. "Gone. Reduced to atoms." Thanos replied. "You used them two days ago!" Bruce yelled. "I used the stones to destroy the stones. It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be. I am inevitable." Thanos said.

"No." I whispered, as a tear rolled down my cheek. "We have to tear this place apart. He has to be lying." Rhodes said. "My father is many things. A liar is not one of them." Nebula said, as she took a step towards Thanos.

"Ah. Thank you, daughter. Perhaps I treated you too harshly." Thanos said. Thor then raised Stormbreaker and cut Thanos' head off. "What?" Bruce asked. "What did you do?" Rocket aside. "I went for the head." Thor said.

I let out a shaky breath as I turned around and walked out of the cabin. My breathing picked up and I stopped walking. I then let the tears fall. "Hey. come here." I heard Steve say as He placed a hand on my shoulder.

I turned around and buried my head in his chest. "He's gone. He's really gone. And he's never coming back." I sobbed. "Y/n, I promised you I wouldn't stop until we got him and everyone else back. Yes, this might have led to a dead end but I will keep my promise and not stop until we bring everyone back." He said as he rubbed my back to calm me down. "Can we go home now?" I asked, as I wiped my tears away. "Yeah." Steve nodded as we continued walking towards the ship.

Word Count: 804