Psycho

Tap.

Wyatt glanced over at the other side of the table, where Dr Ryan sat with a pen and paper. He was looking as smug as ever, with a smirk determined to tick Wyatt off. He was always like that. Cocky because of all the rich friends he had.

"So, Wyatt, where are you from?" he asked, preparing his hand to write.

Wyatt stared at the ground as he responded. "A city not too far from here. You wouldn't know anything about it."

"I've been around a fair bit, I'm sure I've heard of it."

Tap.

Wyatt turned away to the window, looking out upon the cold sidewalk below, and the businessmen making their usual commute. 

Tap.

"I hear you had some family that lived with you back then," Dr Ryan insisted. "Tell me about them."

"I lived alone. Except a friend that stayed with me for a while, but he was just passing through."

Wyatt could hear the sound of metal scratching against the paper as Dr Ryan scribbled away. He had no clue what the man was writing and could only go off his eyes as for what emotion was behind the writings. Sadly, that made it all the harder, as his eyes were anything but easy to read.

"I think you've mentioned this friend once before. What was his name?"

"I don't remember his real name, I've always called him Buddy."

Dr Ryan nodded. "Where was he from? Do you know?"

"Nope."

"I see. Seems your memory isn't working well today."

Tap.

"Wyatt, how long have you known Buddy?"

"We met just a few years ago. I had just moved into the city on my own, and was getting used to my new job."

"Can you tell me more about when you two first met?" Dr Ryan probed as he adjusted his glasses.

"My co-workers and my neighbors didn't care much for me, so I spent most of my time alone. But one day, during a lunch break, Buddy appeared out of nowhere and sat down with me. We talked for a while and became friends. Said he was from out of town and was looking for a place to stay. I was lonely, so I invited him over to my place as long as he paid rent."

"You two were quite fast friends."

Wyatt smiled to himself as he thought back on those days. The much simpler times. "You could say."

"You seem to like talking about him. That's the first time you've ever smiled at any of our sessions."

"Dr Ryan, can I ask you a question?"

Dr Ryan sat up before adjusting his glasses again. "You- you'd like to ask me something? Well, sure, go ahead."

"You ever had that friend that would do anything for you, and you'd do anything for them?"

"Sadly, I can't say I have, Wyatt."

"Tch, figures," Wyatt said, with a frown. 

"How long were you two living together?"

"I dunno, about a year or so."

"Looks like he stayed in the area for a while. Was he still paying rent all that time?"

"Never missed a single due date. Even put rent in early one time."

"What did you two do together?"

"The normal stuff, playing games, drinking beer, striking out with the ladies. He did have a hobby of baking cakes that I joined in every now and then. There was one time he made this super huge cake," Wyatt boasted, stretching his arms out to represent the size. "It was strawberry if I remember correctly. I had asked him to make it for Wendy's birthday party."