Giving

Abigail walked into the youth church with a freshly made fifty bucks. After the late-night service, those new Nike sneakers would be hers. All she had to do was wait for service to end.

The youth pastor's sermon passed right over Abigail as she sat, dancing in her seat. All she could think about were the stylish shoes, with the dashingly red streaks, and the cloud-grade insoles. Truly heavenly.

The time for the offering came, and the baskets begun being passed around. As the baskets drew near, Abigail contemplated putting money in the basket. She had only just got the money, and the shoes were only going to be in stock for a little longer! Surely God wouldn't mind if she kept this ten percent.

Another side of her said that it would be wrong to keep God's money. After all, God had given the money to her in the first place. Who was she to deny him ten percent?

But the shoes! Abigail's shoes were wearing away now, scuffed up and covered with dirt, and this would be the best time to get new ones. What was it that she should do?

The baskets came down her row, and by the time it reached her, she had made her decision.

After the service, Mrs Gravely, Abigail's mom, pulled up in her Prius. Abigail climbed in the passenger seat, before they drove off.

As they rode, Mrs Gravely asked whether or not they were going to the shoe store. "No, I can buy those shoes another day" Abigail said with a smile, trying to comfort herself over the loss of the chance.

But that sadness was quickly replaced with joy. Abigail looked upwards, not to the roof of the car, but to the heavens, for she knew that the Lord had filled her with happiness. She remembered how good it felt to give just ten percent of any and every amount of money she receives. She felt the power of giving.