The Case of the Burning Man

That's what I called it at least. My partner, Detective Selene, called it a case. That was boring though, so I changed it to "The Case of the Burning Man!"

We arrived at the scene at about 9:30p.m., a somewhat rusted old restaurant, once famous for delicious spicy burgers. Now it was famous for a supernatural oddity. Another spicy one, actually.

I checked my documents on the case. Apparently, from a witness who was on the scene when the "incident" first occurred, the story went like this.

Mary, the witness, came in to work just like normal at 6a.m., prepared to manage her team to another night of good sales. Their fry cook, Thomas, was a little late coming in, and a little sluggish in his movements, but she didn't think much into it, as early shifts usually came with that sleepy-headedness. The shift went as usual, until the fry cook had to deal with a customer complaining about the fries. Apparently, the fries were too burnt, but Thomas argued that was how they were meant to be. Mary was prepared to intervene, but before she could, Thomas suddenly blew up in flames. Literally.

The case was fresh off the grill, with burn marks visible on the floor of the establishment. There was no way that place had gotten much business since the incident.

Taking a break from my observations, I found that my partner had already begun searching the kitchen, looking for anything that might give us a lead. She had already made it to the back of the break room by the time I reached her.

"Any clue what you're looking for?" I asked, peering over her shoulder.

All I got in return was a sigh and a frustrated face as she stormed away. Obviously, this search wasn't off to a great start.

I noticed Mary was standing off in the dining room, slowly rubbing her hands. It was my chance to flex my own skills.

I quickly introduced myself before asking the all-important question, "Was Thomas cute?"

Mary's expression turned to one of confusion and annoyance. "He was okay, I guess. How is that going to help with the case?" Her hand-caressing slowed to a stop.

"Maybe he was just too hot for this place to handle." I shot finger guns off into the distance as Mary cringed. "Anyways, I wouldn't worry too much about Thomas, he's just special, like my partner and I. Can't say more though. Classified information, you know how it is."

"DETECTIVE LIZ, GET OVER HERE!"

Selene had called me from the break room, clearly a sound of distress. She finally needed my help. As I hurried to her side, I realized the gravity of the situation.

The blazing entity in front of us was none other than the missing Thomas himself. He was so consumed in the flames that you could barely see his face, but the uniform and nametag underneath was all we needed to understand. Strange how none of it was melting though.

"You were right again, Detective Liz," Selene muttered to me, already in a fighting stance. "He's sick."

His sickness must've been fresh, as the blaze, contained just a few inches away from Thomas's body, could be felt from just a yard or two away. "It'd be pretty cool if we could win the fight, don't you think Selene?"

She rolled her eyes as she charged forwards. In a flicker of lightning, she appeared in front of Thomas with a fire extinguisher in hand.

"I don't think that's going to work!" I called out to her, keeping my distance as I tried to come up with my own plan.

Completely ignoring me, Selene dowsed Thomas in the foam, yet the blaze only grew stronger, sending Selene to scurry back to my side. "So, what's your plan, genius?" she asked, still focused on Thomas.

I was still stuck on why Thomas had returned here. It was likely the Chonin illness and its effects would drive him away from people out of fear, but why come back here? Whatever it was that made him return, it was obvious what the flames fed on, and that would be the main thing to extinguish. In other words, it was time for my signature move.

"Thomas," I said, "can you hear my voice?"

"No, I don't want to talk to you, just leave me alone!" he barked.

"Well, I can't leave yet, but at least Mary wasn't wrong about how hot you are. You're literally on fire!" Another shot from my finger guns, and Thomas's flames died down a bit and acquired a shade of pink.

I could barely contain my smile at this new revelation. "Mary's been worried about you this entire time, Thomas. Why don't you simmer down, and we can talk everything out?"

His flames died down even more, now just a light cloak over him.

I racked my brain for another fire-themed pun, but to my surprise, Selene spoke up. "Come on Thomas, don't leave us left out in the...coal here." She glanced to me for approval, but all I could feel was a tear rolling down my cheek. She was finally starting to take after me. They grow up so fast.

Thomas, on the other hand, finally extinguished the fire, leaving the somewhat dumbfounded boy nervously rolling his hands over one another.

Selene nodded towards me, likely out of sheer amazement at my idea.

I wrapped my arm around his shoulder. "Listen kid, what you have is a little sickness we call the Chonin illness. It makes people do weird stuff, like blow up in flames. You're gonna be fine now though, don't worry."

As the three of us walked out, Thomas looked back at Mary, who quietly waved goodbye.

I couldn't help but smile at the sight. Definitely going in my fanfiction.