Doubting

"Dang, you're so large" an evil little voice muttered.

Alexis looked at herself in her mirror. Maybe it was time to lose a few pounds. She had been having a lot of ramen noodles the past few days.

"And look at your face!" the voice added. "You should really get some makeup on that."

She had some mascara and some eyeliner in her drawers, but did she really need all of that? Maybe it was necessary.

Alexis's phone buzzed, emitting a bright light. It held a new text from her best friend Kayla. It read: "Hey bestie u and me gtg with Jacob to the skating rink he and his friend is going"

Alexis picked her phone and began to type a reply, when the voice piped back in. "You're actually considering going? Look at yourself! There's no way that boy will like you the way you look now. Just stay here, and everything will be fine."

She laid the phone back down, still following the words of the voice in her head. The voice was right. How could Jacob actually like her? Especially how she looked now.

"Your hair is all a mess, and your clothes look like they got ripped off of some hobo off the street. It's best if you just stay here."

Laying down in her bed, Alexis stared up at the ceiling. All the while, the voice in her head kept saying things that continued to break her spirit and darken her day. But the, in the midst of it all, a Bible verse presented itself to her. It was Psalm 139:14, which read "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."

Suddenly, Alexis was filled with rage. She now realized how great she truly was. And all this time, she's been listening to that stupid voice in her head? How infuriating!

"Hey, what's wrong?" the voice asked, frightened at her sudden change of emotion. "You should really calm down a little—"

"Shut up and get out of my head!" Alexis shouted, cradling her head in the process.

"I can't leave! You're the one who brought me here in the first place. And you wouldn't be where you are now if it wasn't for me kid."

It was true that while she was following the voice, she made friends with Kayla. But who cares about that? Now that she was going to be free from self-doubt, she could make her own friends. Without the voice.

"I don't need you" Alexis said. "I don't need your advice, I don't need your nitpicking, I don't need your opinion, and I don't need your voice! I am fearfully and wonderfully made! I was created in the image of God Himself, and I am great just the way I am!"

She could almost hear the voice hiss as it shriveled into nothingness in her mind. Her self doubt had been defeated. And boy did she feel free.