Breaking

Barry sighed as the needle sunk into his skin. His eyes squinted as the yellow drug got carried up his blood stream. Then the relief came.

"Ahh..." he muttered, slowly slouching back in his chair.

He smiled to himself as he let the heroin run its course through his veins. The usual feeling of euphoria came in a flash, giving him all the happiness he could ever want.

You need to stop!

His mother's voice rang through his head. Somehow, even with the drug, sorrow overcame him. She had only waned the best for him when she offered a Bible and a ride to a rehabilitation facility. But he had declined immediately, and had never looked back. Until now.

He glanced over to his nightstand, where a framed photo of him along with his mom and his little sister, Helen. They were all standing in front of their old church a little before Easter on the day they took the picture. Helen still had a gap from the tooth she had lost a few days prior.

Barry chuckled to himself. "We used to have so much fun" he said, reminiscing on all of the memories that now seemed so distant.

Once he had started college, he and Helen had made a deal to talk everyday. But then, he started using heroin along with some friends, and his mom broke them apart so that Helen wouldn't turn out like him.

She shouldn't have to protect me from my own sister. Barry balled up him fists, and looked back down at his needle, which lay beside him, drained of its elixir. He hated taking the drug, but he was addicted.

If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed (John 3:36). That verse simmered in his head. He was surprised he could still remember it when he hadn't picked up a Bible in such a long time. It made him feel more at peace than, he realized, even the heroin did.

He opened his nightstand's drawer and pulled out the business card for rehab. Feeling the plastic in his hands, he thought about his decision.

I could go to rehab and get better. Or I could stay here and feel good. The sensation the heroin gives me...I'm not sure I'll be able to resist it! But Helen.... I want to see my sister. But I also want to keep using.

"The pain will only grow greater if you leave" a nasty voice from his head whispered.

It was over. Barry has decided.

A few weeks later, Barry called his mother. "Hello?" she asked, unsure why he was calling. "You better not be asking for more money, because I already told you—"

"Mom" Barry interrupted, "I went to Cleveland's Rehabilitation Center. I'm getting treatment, and I've been sober for four weeks."

His mom looked upwards and mouthed to the Lord, "Thank you!"

Barry never knew this, but she had been praying for him to go to rehab ever since he had started. And she was just getting ready to give up when he had called.

"Barry" she said, "Would you like to speak to Helen?"