Chapter 10 - The Message

"I can't believe that he yelled at you! I really thought that he was gonna pull you aside to make out with you or something", Christa frowned.

The four of us were sitting at a table in a small lounge in the city. We had already been here for a couple of hours, had a couple of drinks and gossiped. It was nice to have a "girls night out" away from Eren and Armin, considering that I had never been on one before.

"I think he was just jealous, he probably was being a tiny bit possessive," Sasha said, before taking a sip from her fruity cocktail.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He didn't want any other guys to have their eyes on you," I blushed as Sasha explained.

"I'm sure Annie is mad," Ymir added, "She was pretty much eye-raping you"

Christa laughed, "Oh my god, you are so right! Mikasa definitely got the attention needed"

"I wanted to ask you something," I said, trying to change the subject, "Do you guys know Annie?"

Sasha nodded, "Yeah, and that brings up something. She lives with two boys, just like you, and I was almost positive that she likes one of them".

"I've known her for a while, and Eren really doesn't seem like her type." Christa added, "I'm wondering if she's using him"

I sighed, "I really hope not, that would crush Eren"

"But, it would give you an advantage. You can be the knight in shining armor", Sasha dramatically threw out her arms. I smiled, I was really enjoying the company of these three.

The night wore on, and we continued to just drink and chat. There was a dancefloor, but the only people occupying it were those who looked extremely drunk, so we stayed away.

We were getting ready to leave, when my phone vibrated in my purse. From the lock screen, I read the messages.

Eren: Seriously, you look like a slut. Your boobs were about to fall out of that dress. Get some fucking clothes next time?

I looked at the message, and my heart dropped

I looked at the message, and my heart dropped. This had to be some kind of joke, right? Eren would never say those things.

But then again, our conversation before rang through my head. Not only that, but "you did hair and makeup as well as wearing a dress. This just isn't you".

Did he really think that I was some kind of prostitute?

"Hey, you okay?" Ymir asked as we were heading out of the door, "You look upset".

I was about to tell her, but then I hesitated. Did I really want my friends to know what Eren had said? Did they secretly think the same thing?

"Oh, nothing. I'm just tired", It was eleven o'clock, so that excuse should be pretty solid.

"Well, let's get you home then!" Christa laughed.

It was a short ride home, but it was enough time for me to replay the message over and over again. It kept on circling around my brain, until it turned into a big ball of anger.

And, by the time I got into my apartment, I was ready to slap someone by the name of Eren Jaeger.

"Hey Mikasa, how was-"

"What is wrong with you!?" I yelled at Eren, who was sitting on the couch. I just couldn't help myself, my mind just kept on reminding me that he insulted me.

"What's a matter?" He got up, and headed towards me. He placed a hand on my shoulder, but I threw it away.

"What do you mean 'what's a matter?'" I said, imitating him. "I get it that you didn't think that I should go out, but that text you sent me was taking it way too far!" I was boiling.

"Mikasa, I don't know what you mean." Eren looked so confused.

"Stop playing innocent!" I took a step towards him and he flinched back.

Armin came running from the other room, stepping in between us. "Guys, just calm down and talk about it",

"I didn't do anything!" Eren threw his hands up.

"Mikasa, what did Eren do to you?", Armin asked in a calm voice.

"He called me a slut," glared at Eren.

"When did I do that!?" He tries to defend himself.

"You texted it to me fifteen minutes ago!" I yelled at him, showing him my phone.

Eren's eyes quickly scanned the phone, as long as Armin's.

"Mika..."

"Don't call me Mika!" I yelled, biting down on my lip. "Why do I put up with you, you treat me like shit!"

"Mikasa! I didn't send that I swear", Eren tried to take my hand.

"Don't touch me!", I hissed, pulling my hand away, "I wish I never saved you that night!", I glared at him before walking into the bedroom.

I quickly changed out of my dress into Armin's clothes and collapsed on my bed. The adrenaline was gone, and what I said to him hit me.

I didn't mean it; I couldn't imagine a life without him. He might be a complete asshole, but he is my family.

I heard Eren and Armin talking in the living room, and Eren sounded upset. As much as I wanted to take back my words, my pride wouldn't allow it.

I sat on my bed, crosslegged, and with my head in my hands. I would apologize in the morning; blame it on too much to drink.

I wondered if he really sent the message, I mean it did come from his phone, but it could have been a hacker. But how would they know about what I was wearing?

I kept my head down when the door opened.
"Mikasa," Eren sounded upset, "I didn't send that message"

"Sure you didn't," I clenched my teeth, lying down on my bed and pulling the covers up to my cheeks.

"Mikasa, please believe me." He sat down on his bed next to me.

"Just shut up Eren." I said, turning so I wasn't facing him. "I don't care anymore, it's not the first time you insulted me. I'm sick of it",

"Please..." Eren's voice cracked, and I heard him choke on a sob.

I wanted to hug him, tell him that things would be okay, but I didn't. I couldn't let him win again.

But at the same time, I didn't want him to hurt himself, I would never allow it. I knew that there would be a time that he would want to die again, and I had a horrible feeling that he would try again tonight.

Armin came in, and I heard him tell Eren that things would work out in the morning, before turning off the light.

Armin drifted asleep, but I stayed awake. I could hear by Eren's ragged breathing that he was still awake, and I wasn't going to sleep until he was.

I wasn't going to risk it. I thought of all the fights that we have been having recently; we had to put an end to it. I wanted things to go back to what they were in high school. Our late night conversations, sharing homework answers, watching movies together.

I listened to the breathing of the two boys, and I drifted away sooner than I wanted to. Oh, how much I regretted it.