Chapter 14 - Oh Joy, the family

"This would be much simpler if I could just stay home," I muttered, walking up the Jaeger's front pathway.

"This would be much simpler if you just got over it," Eren responded in a mocking tone. I truly did not want to be here, I always felt so out of place. It wasn't too bad when we were younger, but after Dr. Jaeger got married, I was pretty much the extra person in the family.

Eren knocked on the door, as Armin and I sighed. Ever since Armin's grandparents passed away, he had been spending the holidays with us. But, he too did not exactly appreciate the company of Eren's step sisters. Mostly because of the younger daughter, Eva, who had the biggest crush on him.

"Hello kids!" Dr. Jaeger's wife greeted us at the door.

"Merry Christmas Mrs. Jaeger," Armin greeted, but I just looked away. The two of us had a mutual hate for each other, even though we could never say it out loud. I mostly had an issue because she insisted on having me call her 'Mrs. Jaeger,' the name that I had designated for Eren's late mother. So to her, I was more antisocial and a loner than I was to anybody else.

The three of us all entered the house, hanging up our coats in a small closet. We entered the small living room, where we greeted Dr. Jaeger, Eren's grandparents, Eva, Celina and Julia. I mostly stayed silent, although I did hug Eren's dad and grandparents.

"Eva, can you bring these three upstairs?", Mrs. Jaeger turned to the younger girl. Despite the fact that she was now in college like Eren, Armin and I, I've always just imagined her as a needy high school girl. The blonde was always trying to dig up stuff from us, and clung to Armin constantly.

We followed her up the familiar stairs, our childhood home. "Okay, so I'm in this room, Celina and Julia are in that one, and that leaves three free." She looked at Armin, "There's a spot in my room if you want."

"Um," Armin looked away, "Actually my girlfriend is going to be over so that will be a no"

"Oh, you haven't gotten rid of her yet?" Eva frowned. Okay, she was done. It was one thing to flirt with Armin, but insult Christa?

I started walking forward, but Eren threw an arm around me, "Nah, they're pretty in love. Probably going to be engaged soon, it wouldn't be surprising. Thank you for showing us the rooms!"

Eren led me into one of the rooms and closed the door behind us. "Mikasa, we don't want to be blamed for putting someone in the hospital, right?" He placed my bag and his on the bed. We were in the main guest room, meaning that we would be sharing a bed. Last year, I had shared a room with Christa while he and Armin had the other, but now that we had slept with each other a couple of times, it didn't even have to be declared that we would be together.

I yawned, feeling tired. It was only about two o'clock in the afternoon, yet I felt as if I would pass out if I was to lie down on the bed.

"Mikasa, you'll be fine. I don't really want to be here anyways, but its family." Eren smiled at me. "Besides, we can secretly make fun of my sisters again"

"Yeah, I guess we can," I looked down, toying with the ends of my hair. Eren gently grabbed my hand, and we headed out the door.

"Armin, c'mon we're heading back downstairs," He knocked on his door. Armin came out, and he noticed that I was holding Eren's hand.

"Did I miss something?" He asked, and I blushed, trying to let go of Eren's hand.

"Mika, it is not the end of the world if you're holding hands with me," He laughed, tightening his grip.

"No, don't you dare call me Mika." I glared at him, "And if you don't let go of my hand, we'll never hear the end of it from your family",

"Fine," He let go, smiling, "You do have a point."