Chapter 28. The Alpha's Queen

A/N: I realize this title sounds like a werewolf chapter. LOL It was the only thing I could think of for now. Enjoy!

Monday morning Cathy woke up feeling like a new person because all she could think about was that she was now truly Brent's girl.

It was official.

They were in a relationship.

They were together.

They were a couple.

He was now her boyfriend instead of Paul.

She'd never been this excited before, not even when she and Paul decided to become a couple. With Brent, it was as if the entire world had changed overnight.

She smiled and got out of bed to shower and put on her clothes. She brushed her teeth and combed her hair and stared at the bruise. She needed to buy make-up that didn't rub off later today she thought as she painstakingly put on the layers of foundation and concealer.

Kiara stared at her when she walked into the living room.

"I thought I heard you coming in last night. So, tell me...what was it like being with Brent over the weekend?" Kiara winked at her.

Cathy shook her head at her. "We didn't sleep together, Kiara. I mean we did, but not what you're thinking."

Kiara frowned. "Why not?! Aren't you together now?"

"Yes, but...and I can't believe I'm saying this...Brent's doesn't want us to rush into anything."

Kiara narrowed her eyes. "It's because of what happened with Paul isn't it?"

"And my heart," Cathy added. "He thinks he may hurt me somehow."

Kiara sighed. "He's going to obsess over it, isn't he?"

Cathy nodded. "I'm prepared to deal with it...I think..."

"Just try to be patient...he did only just find out," Kiara told her.

"I will...I am...he's already freaking out. I just hope he gets over it and what Paul did so we can move on with our lives."

"Sorry, cuz, but Brent's never going to get over your heart condition. Maybe he'll learn to deal with it better with time."

"That's what I meant," Cathy told her.

Kiara walked to her and hugged her. "I'm so happy for you. I've been waiting for you two to get together since the first day you met him. It took you seven months to finally come to your senses. Boy, you two are stubborn!"

Cathy smiled.

Kiara stared at the cheek Paul had hit her. "Although I wish it would have happened under better circumstances. You hid the bruise well. I can't even tell it's there." She brushed back her hair to get a better look.

"Just don't hug me too much," Cathy said. "Cheap make-up comes off very easily."

"I told you to stop buying stuff from Wal-greens," Kiara told her.

"It's just so convenient and it has everything. I can't just run off to Sephora and buy expensive make-up like you do."

"Well, you don't have to worry about money anymore that's for sure. Brent's got you covered."

The alarm on Cathy's cell phone went off telling her she had 15 minutes to get to class. "I better go. Don't be late, Kiara. You know how you get distracted watching tv in the mornings."

Kiara waved her off. "I'm good. Just got up to get some coffee."

Cathy put on her favorite dark blue knitted cap before stepping outside of the dormitory. The winter was colder than she expected. It had taken her by surprise. The weather had been pretty mild through November and then they'd had a week of rain in December and suddenly it was cold, and it remained cold even in February, despite the new flower blossoms sprouting up around campus. The wind blew her long hair over her face as she walked to class. She pulled the cap down lower and suddenly ran into a hard body.