Chapter 4 - Meet The Rock Star

Cathy stared at the professor in front of her as she tried to concentrate on taking detail notes, but a certain guy wouldn't stop texting her.

Hope you don't have any plans for tonight. I want to take you The HangOut.

I can't I'm studying tonight.

Who studies on a Friday?!!!

I do!!

Not this Friday! Every time I asked you to hang with me after classes, you tell me me you have to study. I left you alone, but today, we're going to the The HangOut. I want you to meet some of my friends.

And there it was, the thing she had been dreading.

She didn't do well with new people or anyone that wasn't family. After her first day at the university and meeting Brent, she'd pretty much kept to herself. Two weeks had passed by and she hadn't met any new people or made friends. She went to class, took her lunch to her room to eat and after classes stayed in her room studying. The university intimidated her and so did Brent Jaggers.

She saw him every day on campus, but they had barely spent time together. During her classes she'd see him talking to different girls, flirting with them. After class, she'd see him going out with some of them, taking them to wherever in his sports car. He also had a large group of male friends that walked the campus with him. The guy was very popular and always busy socializing. She couldn't remember a time she ever saw him alone.

One thing she admired about Brent was that he never snubbed her when he was around other people. He always made an effort to acknowledge her no matter who he was with or what he was doing. He'd wave or jog over to talk to her and see how she was doing. One day, he tried to call her over when he saw her in the lunch room, but she shook her head, smiled, and ran to her dormitory. 

He texted her...not every day, but almost, and she always replied. She would never admit it, but she liked when he checked up on her, that he took the time out of his busy life to see if a "nobody" was doing ok. He was always inviting her to some party or event the university was having. She always told him she had to study. This time he wasn't taking no for an answer and she'd run out of excuses. Last weekend she'd gone home and stayed with her mother catching her up to date on everything going on at the university. Her mother was thrilled she'd caught the attention of a very popular guy like Brent. Cathy still couldn't understand what he saw in her.

Don't ignore me. I'm coming to your dorm to get you and Kiara and take you out to have some fun tonight. I'm picking you up at 7:00pm so be ready!

Even his texts were bossy...

Fine, she responded, giving in.

Her mother had scolded her for being so introverted at the university saying college was not a place for a bright young woman like herself to be alone in. She told her people would love her if she let them get to know her and had no doubt, she'd make more friends, other than Brent, if she only gave them a chance.

So, Cathy decided to step out of her comfort zone, go to The HangOut, which was the campus club she'd heard so much about, and meet Brent friends.

Later that evening, Kiara stood beside Cathy as they waited outside the dormitory for Brent. Kiara had talked her into wearing her hair down from the usual ponytail and had gotten rid of the new glasses her mother had bought for her over the weekend. Cathy had started to go the club in her usual day clothes which consisted of jeans and a top. Kiara had found her a form fitting black dress that showed more cleavage than she was comfortable with and black high heels. She'd even put on some make up. A little mascara, eye liner and lipstick had done wonders for Cathy. She almost didn't recognize herself in the mirror.