Ch. 33 Don't Hold Back

Just wanted to preface that I am obviously not a doctor so I apologize if any of my medical terminology or something is wrong! Also raise your hand if you were traumatized by last chapter! 🙋🏼‍♀️

Peter could feel the smoke through his mask. It was hot and his vision was hazy.

He was on the ground and his head hurt.

Did he get hit? He couldn't remember.

He pushed himself into a sitting position. He looked around with foggy eyes. Something was wrong. He could feel it, it was like time slowed down.

He saw Rina on the telephone pole. He could see the pole slowly giving under its own weight.

He remembered pushing himself to his feet, screaming words even he couldn't understand.

He had to get to Rina.

He was stilling running when the telephone pole gave out. He remembered screaming.

A weight in his chest lifted when he saw the boy holding on to Rina's hand.

Peter was almost to the edge when a spray of gunfire made him dive to the side.

The people firing were dressed in all black. Peter couldn't tell whose side they were on and he didn't want to find out. He just wanted to get to Rina.

From his position he saw a bullet hit Maxim in the shoulder. He knew that the boy wouldn't be able to hold on much longer.

With a deep breath he knew what he had to do.

Peter shot a web at the soldiers nearest him to give himself some cover as he dove off the building.

He shot a web at the opposite building to swing from. He didn't know how he could get to Rina from this angle. But he knew he had to try.

He was preparing himself to swing closer when he saw Ekaterina begin to fall.

He fired a web towards her, hoping and praying that he could catch her.

But he wasn't fast enough.

Her body hit the ground below.

He no longer cared about the bullets being fired. He made his way to the concrete.

Falling to his knees besides Rina.