Ch. 2 Memories of the Ballet

Ch. 2

He nodded a thank you and closed the door behind him.

Natasha kept her composure and continued stretching, she had intended to start dancing but now that she had a guest in the room that was not happening.

She took off her tennis shoes and put on her pointe shoes and got in position next to the barre, her back facing Bucky, who was wrapping his hands in protective tape near the punching bags.

The air was full of such tension and awkwardness that she swore she could have cut it with a knife.

She stood up from the bench and walked to the barre , placing her hands out in front of her grasping onto the barre. Once she was centered she got up onto pointe, it strained her ankles to have her feet so straight, it had been a while but her body still remembered. While she adjusted herself on pointe, she heard fists hitting the punching bag. His fists made a rhythm that she followed, shifting her weight getting used to the uncomfortable shoes.

Once she finally felt comfortable she lifted her left leg straight back behind her so it was parallel to the ground, she was still surprisingly flexible. Still on pointe, she raised the other leg stretching it out as well. With the rhythm of punches making her feel relaxed she decided to try something more difficult.

She tried to pull a needle while en pointe, while training she was not one of the first of the young girls to be able to pull one. She was punished for it.
She wanted to redeem herself somehow, maybe to prove to herself that she wasn't worthless, that she could do what they said she could not.

She wasn't able to pull one until she was almost out of ballet training

She wasn't able to pull one until she was almost out of ballet training. She still had a few scars to prove it. Shaking her head, she cleared her thoughts of the past and got up onto her toes and began to pull her left leg above her head, she was met with a little resistance, her legs were not used to this anymore. She pulled harder getting her leg above her head and straight but it wasn't like she remembered. She held it, thinking about what she was doing wrong when she heard a voice,

"Don't twist your hips. You are arching your back again, you have to straighten your leg", Bucky said now facing her, abandoning the punching bag.

His voice startled her, causing her to drop her leg and fall flat on her feet. She looked at and wondered how he could possibly know that. Then it dawned on her. He couldn't possibly remember. Could he?

He scratched his head and looked just as confused as she did.

"I uh I don't know why I said that" he said moving closer to her.

On instinct, she took a few steps back.

"Why do I know that? Why does everything about you feel so familiar?" He said searching her face for answers.

She payed her hand on his chest to keep him from coming any closer.

"James" she started and took a breath before continuing, "there is something you should know".

But before she could continue Friday's voice interrupted her, "Ms. Romanoff, Mr. Barnes. Director Fury requests your presence in the briefing room".

Natasha sighed, relieved to have been interrupted. She only realized how close they were when she looked up from the ground and into his bright blue eyes.

She took her hand away from his chest and left Bucky standing there, head full of questions while watching the strange but familiar red haired woman walk out of the door and it seemed all to familiar, like a dream he couldn't remember, like a memory he couldn't quite place.

She was gone and he collected his thoughts before following her like a good soldier, that's all he felt he could be.

Ahhh, another chapter! Sorry for the filler chapter, I'll be getting to main point in the next chapter or so! I'm excited to be getting so close to the main event of this book! Much love to everyone who reads these! The best part of my day is reading the comments and writing more chapters.