It Was Never Meant To Be

Thank you all :)

We're getting to the end, but I might leave you all on some cliffhangers and do a sequel with more current lore.

Wilbur entered a small cave that was inside of the mountain that was next to L'Manberg. He had ordered you not to follow him and Dream had said the same. Somehow, you had managed to sneak past the others and follow Wilbur. Where was he going? There was only one answer, and it wasn't a good one.

He seemed at peace for one moment, and at the other he looked stressed and tired. Maybe you were seeing his true feelings, because now he looked evil and merciless. This whole situation had changed him. The war and being kicked out of his home changed him. Revenge has driven him crazy.

He wasn't the sweet Wilbur that you were engaged to.

This was the only chance you would have to reveal yourself. You stepped out of the dark and into the part of the cave he was standing in. "Will, what on Earth are you doing?" You demanded. His brown eyes met your E/C eyes. He looked angry.

"My love, you shouldn't be here."

You shrugged and paced around the room. "I know." You saw strange signs on the wall. They said the words of the L'Manberg anthem. A button on the wall of the cave caught your attention. It made your expression look horrified. "Wilbur, you're going to use this to blow up L'Manberg, aren't you?"

He was silent.

"I'm sorry Y/N, I really am." You looked at him. His betrayal hurt you. Dream was right. There is a traitor.

And it's Wilbur.

"So you know what this button is now, correct?" Wilbur questioned. "I do now," You whispered. He smiled. "Do you remember... the song? On the walls? Before? Have you forgotten it, love? I was just saying, I made this big point, it was poignant, and it's um... There was a special place where men could go, but it's not there anymore y'know, it's not-"

 "It is there. You've just- You've just won it back, Wil!" You cried, a tear leaving your eye. Y/N, I'M ALWAYS SO CLOSE to pressing this button, Y/N! I've BEEN HERE like seven or eight times, I've been here seven or eight times...My love, I've been here so many times..."

Fireworks started to go off.

Not the fireworks you would see in a show, but the killing kinds.

"They're fighting again! They're fighting!" Wilbur cried. You put a hand on his shoulder and then rested your head on it. You picked your head up and looked at him. You squeezed his hand. "And you just want to blow it all up? Just blow our home up?"

He looked like he was in pain. He was confused. "I do, I think, I-" You had to cut him off. We fought so hard to get this land back... So hard." Tears started to stream down your face. Wilbur placed a hand on your cheek.

"I don't even know if it works anymore, Y/N, I don't even know if the button works, I could, I could... press it."

You looked at him horrifed. You were scared. "Do you really wanna take that risk?  There is a lot of TNT connected to that button, Will." He nodded. 'Y/N... There was a saying, Y/N. By a traitor. Once part of L'Manburg. A traitor- I don't know if you remember what he said?"

"I think I do."

He let go of you and walked toward the button. You knew what was going to happen next. "NO!" You screamed, rushing over to him.

"It was never meant to be."

He pressed the button.