1 | Butter

Cupid Santa

"Are you ready? In 3-2-1-0! The #DearCupidSanta generates 500 Million data from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and other social media platforms," the Hashtag Collector female voice says.

I stand up abruptly from my chair out of shock, my eyeglasses sliding down to the tip of my nose. "What?! That's 10 times more than what I'd expected! How am I going to fly to every house all over the world with only one reindeer to help me?" Reindeers must be in good shape, well-trained and healthy on Christmas but my reindeers got a rare disease and six of them are infected.

I am Cupid Santa, the Santa in charge of granting the wishes about love this Christmas. As years go by, people seem to be struggling in the love department — mostly are confused with their feelings, meaning my task is growing.

"You don't have to," says Truffles, my black-haired elf secretary who's been working for me for a decade now.

I turn to face her, sitting on the golden fabric sofa beside her husband, Chippy, also with black hair. His arm around his wife's shoulder. Both of them are wearing red and green tunic with black belts, red and white striped tights, red hat and green shoes.

"I don't? How?" I ask, sitting back on my chair, pushing my eyeglasses back to my eyes and tapping my right index finger on the table.

"Social media," says Chippy.

"How could I touch their heart? Will my bow and arrow fly from the screen?" I cringe at the thought. Halloween is over.

"Creepy!" Truffles exclaims, smoothing her tunic. "Christmas is magical. How about posting your message on different social media platforms."

"That's not how it works. Words are not enough to express love."

"How about we film you while talking, capturing all your movements," says Chippy excitedly.

"Hmmm," I run my left index finger on my thick white beard. "I feel like it isn't enough. It sounds boring." Video. Social media. "What videos are they uploading nowadays?"

"Anything. From waking up, to pouting their lips." Truffles stands up and does whatever she's saying. "Shaking their butt and multiplying themselves. How they do that is beyond me."

Chippy and I laugh at her funny faces and body movements.

"Hey, they do serious things too like dancing, singing as well as movie, series and book reviews. But it's hilarious if they spoof a movie scene. Chippy pulls her wife to sit on his lap and kisses her lips briefly.

I roll my eyes as I cannot complain with their public display of affection. After all, I was the one who matched them. A light bulb appears at the back of my mind.

"I will look for humans who can be the elves this Christmas," I say in a more enthusiastic voice, standing up from my chair and walking towards the lovey dovey couple sitting on my sofa. I stop in front of the giant globe, turning it left and right, up and down.

"You're kidding," says Truffles, her eyebrows furrowing.

"I'm not. So stop hugging each other and bring me all the students from Boston University."

"Why Boston?" asks Chippy, still holding her wife and not moving an inch.

"Trust my instinct. My elves are there." I sit on the single-seater sofa beside the tall green Christmas tree which is decorated with colorful sparkling baubles, white tinsels and illuminated by multi-colored lights. My mind is busy and ideas keep flowing. It's overwhelming but this is the feeling I get when I am doing the right thing.

"Fine. Come on, baby." Truffles tugs his husband's hands but something rings in my ear before they disappear.

"Get only the files of all the juniors."

"Which department?" asks Chippy.

"No idea yet." I close my eyes and focus on my feelings. My brain is feeding too many ideas but my feelings tell me what to do. All the nerves in my body are awakened and I must listen to determine my next course of action. I hear the door closing and after a while it creaks and footsteps echo in my old rustic room which smells like a library — sweet and papery — mixed with the burning wood scent.

I open my eyes to Chippy holding the pile of records which go above his head while Truffles is setting up my coffee table into a long wide desk. They work so fast until all records are laid on the table. My eyes scan the files quickly and drop the rejected files on the big box beside me.

"Not Knox, not Chase, not Daniel, not Caleb, not Min Ho, not Jung Kook..." Then suddenly a folder glows in my touch. "Jimin Park, ahhh! My first elf!" I raise the folder and the elf couple rushes to my side and reads the details.

"No girlfriend since birth but has experience with girls," says Chippy.

"How can he power up the love if he doesn't experience one?" asks Truffles.

"No experience doesn't mean he has no idea about love." I wink at Truffles. She should know it too well since she had no boyfriend since birth when she met Chippy. She responds with a knowing smirk.

"How is he going to amplify the love?" asks Chippy.

"Oh he won't. Jimin will give them the courage to act out of love as smooth as butter." Another bulb lights up at the back of my mind. "Yes, I will call him Butter."

I turn to the files on the table again and do the same for the girls. Scan, drop on the box and repeat.

"Not Sophia, not Alex, not Shin Hye, not Lisa, not Dorothea..." The list goes on until my palm feels hot when I hold the next file. "My second elf, Taylor Swift." Before I hold it up, Truffles is quick to get it from me.

"Short relationships, no strings attached, no commitments, doesn't believe in long-lasting love," she says, shaking her head.

"She doesn't believe in love at all," says Chippy.

"My, my, my let me remind you, Chippy. You've been in many relationships and every time you thought it was love but you'd been wrong until you met Truffles."

Chippy scratches the back of his neck and pulls his wife beside him. I walk towards the fireplace and pick up a piece of wood and throw it in the fire. The fire ignites into sparks forming a vivid orange and red flame.

"Taylor will ignite the fire of love until he/she loves someone so strong, so red. That's it! She will be known as Red." My lips move into a wide grin. "Red and Butter."

###
Title: BTS - Butter

Holy molly! I was nervous while writing this.

Please tell me, did you like it?

I will try to upload everyday so please add this story in your private library to be notified.

Thank you for reading.

Lovelots,
Alya