4 | Betty

Jimin to Butter

I see her again. Of course I'll recognize her. Every time I see her, there's always a shade of red: red dress, red phone, red bag, red shoes, red hair tie, red lipstick, red pen or red umbrella. The girl who likes red. Oh, who would have guessed.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" Max asks who's sitting across the table, devouring his burger.

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Ouch!" He feigns hurt, putting his hand on his chest.

I throw a fry at him and he automatically opens his mouth to catch it. This dude...tsk! Max eats everything but he looks fit. Food and working out are his addiction.

"Thanks," he says while chewing the french fry.

I just shake my head in response. Max is my housemate and classmate. We are both taking a degree in computer engineering.

"Do you like her?" he asks.

"Who?" Antonio, one of our classmates, chimes in. Unlike Max, Antonio has a strict no-carb diet.

"Yeah, who?" I ask, although I have an idea who he is referring to.

"The owner of the phone. I saw you rushing out after picking up the phone from their table." Max talks but his eyes and hand are on the croutons on Antonio's salad.

"Just being noice." I shrug my shoulders. I won't tell them that the girl is beautiful, unique and has charmed me.

Max studies my expression as if looking for something which I don't have any idea about.

"So," Antonio trails off looking at me then to Max. "Are you going to the football game? Knox told me his teammates will play too." Knox is our friend who is on the football team playing as the quarterback.

"When?" I ask.

"On the 21st, the last day of school," Antonio replies, putting aside the croutons so that Max can get them easily.

"I'm in." Max picks up two croutons and pops them to his mouth.

"So do I. It's not everyday that we can play with the soon-to-be professional footballers." I glance at Zach and Dorothea who finally stops kissing and resumes eating their food.

"Damn straight right," Max says, shoving almost 5 pieces of french fries on his mouth.

We all play football, basketball and lacrosse. For fun. It's cool but programming a device and machine, making websites and desktop applications are way cooler in our opinion. The bell rings and we stand to head on to our next class.

🎅

"Bye!" I say to my friends before walking towards my car. I halt in front of my black Porsche Panamera when I notice the brown box, with red and white ribbon.

Is it for me? I peel the envelope from the box and it really says, 'To: Jimin Park'

Who is in the right mind to leave a present on the hood? What if someone steals it? Or the wind blows and knocks it down on the ground? I read the white note with a red handwritten message.

Dear Jimin Park,

You are chosen to receive this gift for Christmas.

Yours merrily,
CS

"CS, huh." I say, looking around for a possible admirer hiding behind the cars and trees but I see no one so I pick up the box and toss it on the passenger seat.

When I reach my bedroom, I open the box, revealing a green elf hat with a red trim crown decorated with jingle bells on each tip of the crown and a white pom pom on the tip of the center and a key with a Butter text in yellow.

And another note.

You are chosen to be the elf of love this Christmas. Wear this tonight at 8pm if you accept your role and you have to do it every night until Christmas eve. Use the key to start your car.

This is getting weirder. Someone is playing a prank on me. I stupidly check my room, turning my place up and down, for any hidden cameras but found none. Is it live? Will I see my face all over the internet? Dammit!

"Who's there? If this is a prank, you better reveal it now," I say to no one in particular but my computer.

This is crazy. I am crazy. With that, I stand up and bang the door as I go out, leaving the messy room and the weird gift on my computer table. This is the time I appreciate that Max is going home late.

I grab a can of beer from the refrigerator and lean my back on the counter, looking blankly at the cupboards.

What will happen if I wear the goddamn costume and use the weird Butter key? I take out my phone from my pocket to check the time. Seven thirty. Will google know if I ask about the gift? I'm going crazy if I don't get any answer.

I type the word butter and the music video of BTS - Butter appears. Of course. Next, I search for 'butter cs'. What will I do with butter vs margarine? I almost throw my phone on the counter out of frustration and take a big gulp of the beer.

CS? What does CS even mean on Christmas? Claus Santa? Christmas Spirit? Cabernet Sauvignon?

My thoughts continue to wander, not realizing it's 8 o'clock until I return to my room and the light coming from the window gleams on the gold key and jingle bells, making them glow.

It's hypnotizing that the next thing I know, I'm already wearing the costume and holding the key. I close my eyes as colorful glitters swirl around me and a warm sensation engulfs my entire body. After a few seconds, I open my eyes and look down at my new outfit.

A red and white striped tights.
A green long sleeved tunic with a red trim collar and cuffs. The word Butter is embroidered in white on the left chest.
A black belt with a gold buckle.
A pair of green elf shoes with black line and gold square that looks like the belt but on the shoe.

I walk out of our dorm like a robot towards where I park my car. Once inside, I insert the key with a Butter text on it on the keyhole. My car shakes for a second and stops before I can even react.

"Hi Butter!" A voice which sounds like A female chipmunk, makes me jump on my seat.

"Who are you? Who's talking?" I look around but it's just me inside the car. I glance at the side mirror and my eyes are widening when my gaze lands on the guy with pastel-colored hair escaping from the elf hat and long pointed ears with hoop earrings. I touch my ears to confirm that the guy in the mirror is me. What an elfing thing is this? My ears change and I am really wearing earrings.

"It's Betty at your service and I will be taking you to Red and Cupid Santa. Are you ready, Butter?"

"Oh I am Butter? The last time I checked, my name was Jimin Park." I don't even know that my car is a girl.

"Yes you are. Your elf name is Butter. You will be using that name to introduce yourself."

"What should I do? Who is Red?"

"You and Red are the elves of love." She pauses. "Hmm, I can't sense Red. It's eight twenty."

"Did she receive the same present?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Then, I won't be surprised if she throws it in the bin." I chuckle. "If she doesn't accept, does it mean I can change my mind?"

"We have to ask Cupid Santa for that," Betty says.

###
Title: Taylor Swift - Betty
I choose between Betty and Ivy but the name Betty seems to be more fitted for the character.

Inspo: Jimin reportedly owned a Porsche.

Sorry if I wasn't able to post last night. I was too busy and exhausted.

I hope you like this chapter.

Thank you for reading.

Lovelots,
Alya

...7 days before Christmas!