10 | We Are Never Getting Back Together

Taylor

I'm both exhausted and refreshed and I don't know why. I know something happens every time I wear the elf hat. My body could feel it and the fuzzy yet unexplainable happiness makes me look forward to 8 o'clock every night. Today is the third day.

I stare at the elf hat which is neatly folded inside the box just like the first time I saw it. I wore it every night but I have no memory of folding them back.

I'm the elf of love. This hat is only for my eyes. What do I do every night? Why can't I remember a thing?

I grab my wallet, keys, mobile and coat to take a short walk around the area while still thinking about being an elf. Whatever I'm doing, I know I'm doing it right. The first time, I was late. Yesterday, my heart was racing as early as 7:45 in the evening. Today, I keep on looking at the clock to check the time.

I stop walking when the three-floor bookstore catches my attention. How come I didn't think about this? Pushing the door and upon entering, an old lady smiles at me.

"Can I help you?" She asks while I check her nameplate.

"Yes please. I'm looking for books about elves."

"That would be on the second floor."

"Thank you, Madeleine." I smile at her before heading to the stairs.

For fifteen minutes, I am scanning the shelves of the biggest bookstore in Boston trying to find books about elves. So far there are only children's stories and fantasy books I've found. I don't mind looking around because I like the woody and earthy smell of the shop as well as the peace and quiet. I move to the romance section and one book catches my eyes.

Red and Butter: The Elves of Love

I reach for it but someone does the same and we both hold the book. I turn my head to see who gets interested and my eyes widen when he's the guy from the cafeteria and he's as surprised as I am.

He flashes a smile that reaches his eyes. "We've met again."

"Obviously." I roll my eyes yet I smile in return. He runs his fingers through his and a strange feeling of familiarity hits me. Did he do it the times I saw him? My wandering thoughts are broken when he tugs the book."Can I have this —"

The ring on his phone, cut my words. He instantly let go of the book to answer the call, turning his back on me.

"Hey sis, wazzup. Are you ok?" He starts walking. "Where's Zach? Calm down. I'm coming." With that he runs out of my sight.

I shrug and turn to check the book I am holding. I barely lift it from the shelf when my phone vibrates in my hand. Elle.

"Hell—"

I have no time to even say hello when her cry reaches my ear. "Where are you?" I walk away from the shelf as fast as my legs can do. "I'm coming in a few."

🎅

"Shhh!" I murmur while moving my hand up and down on her back to soothe and comfort her. I found her sitting on the floor and crying with smudged mascara inside the toilet. Luckily, it's empty and just the two of us. We stay in our position— me kneeling down on the floor, hugging her while she holds on to me and probably staining my red coat but who cares — until she stops and detaches herself from me to wipe her eyes and nose.

"Thank you Tay," she says, still catching her breath.

"Now, would you tell me why?"

"I talked to Zach and he..." I figured that at least. He's been the reason behind her extreme happiness and grief since forever. "He's, he's going to propose on Christmas Eve."