17 | Safe and Sound

Taylor to Red to Taylor

I run toward the entrance as soon as the taxi stops in front of the apartment building. I release the breath I am holding when I enter the elevator that will take me to my unit.

So many questions are flooding my brain, giving me headaches and I feel like I'm going to faint anytime if I don't calm myself. How did Markus get out of jail? How are the two guys who rescued me?

Luckily, I still have the sling bag with me. I look for my phone inside my bag but I can't find it.

My hands are shaking and it takes a few tries until I finally insert the key and open the door. I immediately lock it and switch on all the lights and rush to check the windows. Afraid that Markus will break into my apartment. I release a hefty sigh after ensuring that I am safe and walk to the kitchen to drink water. My throat is very dry so I take a small sip before gulping down the slightly warm water.

I rush to the living room upon remembering the two guys. I still can't find my phone even after emptying its contents on the table. I forgot to ask Max's number and I don't even know the other guy's name who looked so worried when he came out of the window but at the same time I caught the relief in his eyes when his gaze locked to mine. I've been seeing him around the campus almost everyday and I feel the flutter in my stomach whenever he runs his fingers through his hair and gives me an eye smile.

Who is he?

Tears flow down my face that turn into sobs. All the things that happened from the parking lot until I reached home came crashing like a tsunami of emotions, sweeping me away. The uneasiness and not knowing whether my rescuers are safe or if Markus has been jailed, restrict my breathing.

Calm down, Taylor. You've been through this ordeal before. Dear God, please protect those guys and I hope they are safe and sound.

After crying in the living room, I drag myself to my room. My feet and eyes are heavy. However, as soon as I enter my room, the elf hat catches my attention. I glance at the clock and it shows 9 o'clock.

Holy berry! I am very late!

I have no more energy left to do my task but I still get it from the box after changing into a warm pair of pajamas. I climb on my bed and wear the hat on before lying down.

When the warm sensation is over, I look at the window waiting for Betty and Butter. The thought of seeing him bring back the tears.

I need my boyfriend.

However, minutes had passed but there's no car floating outside nor my handsome elf. I get up from my bed to open the window. The cold December air hits my face and my body shivers. I look above and around the apartment complex but no yellow car in sight.

"Where are you, Butter?" I wipe the warm liquid from my face using the sleeve of the tunic. "I need you. Please, come. Please."

The wind is getting colder but I refuse to shut the window. I've never felt so alone until now. "Where are you when I need you the most?"

I am drowning in tears and loneliness until I think of Butter in an accident. What if Betty crashes to the ground? Or something happened to him.

No...no...something important just came up that's why he's late. I sneeze due to the cold wind so I close the window but keep the curtains to the side. I climb to my bed and lie down under the sheet while staring at the snow falling outside.

The light coming from the window wakes me up. I attempt to get up but I can't lift my head. It's just so heavy and my body feels so tired. When my thoughts drift to the events that happened yesterday, I pull my blanket to cover my entire body.