23 | A Brand New Day

Taylor

"Sweetie, are you awake?"

I shot up in bed as soon as I heard my Mom's voice. "Yes, Mom. Give me a minute." Glancing at the clock, it shows 12:01. Christmas time.

The cold breeze coming from the open window makes me shiver. I rush to close it but the clear night sky and the city lights which are glistening in snow make me stare at this beautiful sight.

"Merry Christmas," I whisper in the wind before closing my window and white curtain.

I walk to my closet to change into the elf costume I wore last year. But I put on the elf hat I received a few days ago. Perfect.

My parents are busy setting up the dining table, both of them are dressed in Santa Claus. Christmas songs are being played in the background, living and dining rooms are decked with  blue and silver and all the Christmas lights are switched on which give a cozy and warm vibe.

"Merry Christmas Mom and Dad." I open my arms to hug them both.

"Merry Christmas, Sweetie." They say in chorus as they engulf me in a warm embrace.

"Our hot chocolates are ready." One of the many traditions we have is drinking hot chocolates. Mom likes her hot cocoa to have raspberry cream while Dad loves chai hot choco. "Let's drink them before they get cold."

I glance at the table which is full of midnight snacks, meaning a platter of butter cookies with different Christmassy shapes like bells, Christmas tree, star, reindeer head and snowman figure. In the middle are two glasses with pine twigs, candle, dried fruits, gold ribbon and fairy lights which illuminate the entire table. Three white plates with red tissue and green crackers are placed including our hot chocolates. We walk together toward it and separate once we reach our designated seat. I love my family.

After the sweet indulgence, we sit around the Christmas tree to take our annual family picture before opening our presents. Dad holds the selfie stick where Mom's iPhone 13 is mounted. I am always seated in between them.

"Hon, move it slightly down so that we have the Christmas tree in the background," Mom says.

"Ready?" Dad presses the shutter and the 3-second timer goes off.

We take five more until we are all satisfied and I start opening my gifts. Mom gives me a Jo Malone Mandarin and Honey perfume while Dad's gift is a single diamond pendant from Tiffany & Co.

"Thank you Mom and Dad." I kiss my Mom's smooth cheek then Dad's rough one due to his stubble. "Your turn to open your gifts." I hand them the gifts wrapped in brown paper with a single pine twig and red white string.

"A bathing suit?" Mom widens her eyes.

"Sweetie, why give me this swimming trunk? I'm already old enough to wear this." Dad chuckles but his eyes sparkle at the sight of Mom's two-piece swimsuit.

"Oh, come on. No one says only young people can wear them." Actually, both my Mom and Dad have killer bodies. They aged gracefully and hoped I'll be the same. "Use them on your anniversary. Who knows, maybe you'll come back with a baby."

Mom and Dad laugh but I couldn't join them when an unexpected gift wrapped in white paper with red ribbons catches my attention. I reach for it and read the card.

To: Taylor Swift

Merry Christmas.

From: CS

"Why are you surprised? Aren't you the one who put it there?" Mom asks and I glance up to see that my parents are studying my expression.

I swallow and force a smile. "Oh I forgot about it. It's the first gift I've put under the Christmas Tree."