7 | DNA

Butter

"Close your mouths," Cupid Santa's voice was so compelling that we obey without having to be told twice. "I know it's a lot."

"Are we going to shoot an arrow 500 million times?"  Red asks and I can sense that she's dreading about holding an arrow and aiming it to a person's heart. I even swallow hard after thinking about it.

Cupid Santa laughs and it sounds like a bell ringing. Is that even possible?

"No. We have a better idea. You are going to sing, take a video and send it out to their social media accounts."

"You have social media?" That's a stupid question as soon as the words leave my mouth but there's no more time to take them back.

"Of course. I'm not living in a cave where there is no access to the internet and electricity, Butter."

"Of course." I flip my hair back and realize it's actually the elf hat.

"Which song are we going to sing?" Red asks and then looks at me. "Do you know how to sing? Because I don't."

I clear my throat. "A bit." My family and close friends say my voice is unique.

"You have a nice voice too, Red. And don't worry D 'n A will help you create the music and lyrics."

"DNA?" We say in chorus. Who chooses a name about the molecule?

"D and A, Dazzle and Applesauce, the elves for creating carols in the North Pole. They should be here —"

"Hi!" A high-pitched voice startles us and we all glance towards the door.

My gaze stops at the female elf with orange hair who looks around our age, wearing a red tunic, shoes and hat decorated with glitters, even her lipstick is shimmering. She's also holding a green basket with red and glittering lace.

She walks towards us and is completely fixated on me as if I am the only person in this room? Who is she?

"She stops in front of me and extends her arm. Her nails are painted with glitters too. "I'm Glitterpie. What's your name?" She asks, batting her eyelashes. She lives up to her name.

I shake her hand. "Butter." Her hands are bigger compared to Red.

"Yum! Are you staying until Christmas?" She places the basket on the floor and sits in between me and Red causing the both of us to move closer to the armrest to give her some space.

"No."

"Why?" She pouts. "Elves are supposed to stay until Christmas."

"They will be here every night but they have to go home at 12 midnight," Cupid Santa says, looking between the three of us.

In my peripheral view, I see Red crossing her arms over her chest. Is she bored or irritated?

"Oh, that's good to hear. We'll be hanging out everyday." She giggles and claps. "Do you like gingerbread, fruit tarts and hot chocolate?"

I chuckle. "Of course. Who doesn't?"

"Perfect!" Her eyes twinkle in delight.

"Glitterpie, can you prepare the food now?" Truffles say. "They must be hungry, right Red?"

Red clears her throat and Glitterpie seems to just notice her presence when she whips her head to the left. "I'm Red. I came with Butter." Judging from her voice, she isn't bored but clearly irritated.

"Oh sorry, I didn't notice you earlier. Nice to meet you. I'll put them in a tray." She looks back at me. "Give me a minute." With that she's gone to the kitchen in a sec.