Chapter VI: Why

I snapped my eyes open in alarm. Not knowing where I was, was becoming a habit. First in my coffin and now in what seems to be someone house. I looked around the room, high ceilings and fancy wallpaper. It looked like a place a noble man would live. Sitting up some, I cringed in pain. Lifting the blankets off of me to see a fabric wrapped tightly around my torso. A loose baggy shirt on me. Someone changed me. I slowly stood up, cringing here and there as I moved to the dresser, picking up a book end that was made of wood. I slammed my palm against it, breaking it into two pieces. Grabbing the piece that looked more useful for killing a Vampire.

"Typically when someone helps you, you don't break their things." A woman's voice rang through the room. I turned around quickly to see a blonde woman standing in the doorway with pointed look on her face. "You know- normal wooden stakes won't kill an Original." She pointed out as she walked to the bed and set a new first aid fabric down.

"You're one, aren't you?" I questioned, placing the make shift stake down.

"You can call me Rebekah. And you are Echo, right? Kol told me about you." Rebekah told me.

"Kol?" I repeated. The man from the woods. The blood lost must have made my memory a bit foggy.

"My brother. He's a bit- insane. So might want to be careful around him. But I suppose you should really just watch out for Niklaus." She said with a slight laugh. I looked at her confused making her face go serious. "Those idiots didn't introduce themselves? Barbarians, I swear. Niklaus is the hybrid that stabbed you. Elijah is the more noble looking brother. Kol of course you know."

"You have a lot of brothers." I noted. She smiled and nodded.

"It's not for the weak. Do you have brothers?" She asked, sitting down on the bed. I shook my head slowly. Rebekah seemed nice, but she was a vampire. I didn't know what to do in this situation. I felt uncomfortable, mostly because it was how I was taught. "I won't bite you. You don't need to be afraid."

"I'm not afraid of you." I said quickly. Rebekah nodded, smiling.

"Of course not. You're the Slayer. The big bad. The one who could easily kill us all if she had the correct weapon." Kol said leaning on the doorframe with a grin. His eyes went to the dresser. "You really couldn't have a bit of trust?" I looked at him with a hard swallow. He made me not feel myself. Nervous? I've never been nervous. Well maybe when I knew I was about to die at the hands of his brother. But other than that- never.

"Why didn't you kill me?" I questioned. Kol gave me an odd look, glancing to his sister who stood up.

"I'll leave you two be. Try not to get yourself killed." She said.

"I'm not going to kill her!" Kol snapped with a pout.

"I was talking to you. Not her." Rebekah said with a laugh and walked out. Kol huffed before looking at me and walking in.

"You wouldn't kill me." He said mostly to himself. His brown eyes glanced at me, darkening slightly as he looked me up and down. "You feeling alright? You shouldn't be out of bed." He said, walking towards me, but I just backed up a bit. My lower back hitting the dresser. "I'm not going to hurt you, Echo." He told me gently. His hands raised in the air in surrender. "I just need to check your dressing." I tilted my head at him.

"Why?"

"Because you're hurt-"

"No. Why didn't you kill me? I was passed out. You had the advantage. Any creature would have taken that opportunity to get rid of a Slayer." I told him. Kol shook his head, his eyes showing a bit of hurt.

"It's rude you know. Calling us creatures. I was human once too." I gave him a look. "I was. A long time ago. And I still have a bit of that humanity. I wouldn't kill someone just because I had the advantage. You were unable to defend yourself. I could never."

"But you could now.." I told him, making him sigh. Kol walked towards me causing me to move to the side, ignoring my reaching for the stake as he marched to stand in front of me. Backing me into the wall before I lifted the stake only for him to grab my hand and squeeze it just enough to make me drop it but not hurt me.

"You're right. I could." He said, pressing me against the wall. I went to move my other hand to try and push him back, but he grabbed it and held it to the wall along with my other hand. His body so close to mine that when I breathed, my chest would rub against his. Kol stared down at me with his heated brown eyes. "But I don't want to." He finally said, leaning his forehead against mine with his eye closed. I closed my eyes, finally letting the breath I had been apparently holding out.

"What are you doing then?" I questioned

"What are you doing then?" I questioned. My eyes opening to see him already looking at me. His hand releasing one of mine and lightly touching my cheek. The intensity of his stare made my breath catch in my throat again. I swear, he may not want to kill me. But he was doing it just fine without trying.

"I haven't figured that out yet

"I haven't figured that out yet." He decided on. His head tilting slightly as his lips hovered over mine. His warm breath fanning over my wet lips before he leaned in just a bit more. My lips parting at the anticipation. "I'll let you know when I figure it out." With that his lips touched mine and sparks flew.