Chapter XV: Questions and Questions

Waking up, I could hear the sound of a beeping noise. My eyes opening slowly to look at the ceiling above me. My arm felt warm, making me look down at it to see an IV in it, blood in the little tube. I freaked out, ripping it from my arm and sitting up. The blanket fell down showing I was in a large oversized shirt and my chest was wrapped underneath. I pulled the other monitors off of me, moving to stand up. The machine that was beeping now making a long beeping noise. I heard some footsteps running up the stairs and the door bust open.

"Echo.." I looked over to see Kol standing there. He flashed to me, catching me as I had stood up and stumbled slightly. "Why are you out of bed?" He asked, holding me to his chest.

"What happened?" I asked. My voice a bit raspy. Kol helped me to sit on the bed, pulling the blanket back and getting me to lay back down. I didn't expect him to climb into bed next to me, pulling me to rest my head on his chest. "Kol.." I whispered as I listened to his breathing. His hand went to my head, brushing his fingers through it.

"It was the worse moment in my life when I saw you were gone." Kol started, his voice low and in pain. "There was a small bit of blood on the floor- I had no idea where you were or if you were okay." I nodded against him.

"Irina is alive- She was here when I was getting ready for bed. Took me by surprise and hit my head." I filled in, explaining to him what had happened. Kol sighed, trying to keep calm.

"Who's Irina?" He asked calmly. But I could hear the underlining deadliness to his voice.

"Someone from my past. What happened next?" I asked him, pacing my hand on his chest and drawing small circles with my finger.

"Well- We tried to figure out who had taken you. No one even knew what you looked like in town since you've been with us. Jeremy and Caroline were the only ones who knew what you looked like and they hadn't seen you." Kol explained, pulling a knot loose in my hair. "But then something happened. It was like I could sense you.." His hand traced the small bite mark on my neck.

"You could sense me?" I questioned, confused.

"It was crazy- It was like I was in your mind. I could see what you saw. I knew where you were. I just knew."

"Do you think it was because you bit me?" I asked as he dragged his index finger along my skin.

"I'll have to talk to Elijah more, he said he would look into it." Kol said. I nodded. "What happened at the warehouse? Why did this Irina take you? That doctor was carving into you- I-" He stopped, taking a deep breath.

"She was trying to bring the god Al-Qaum alive... Apparently she needed my blood and heart to bring him to life.." I told him. Kol paused his tracing on my neck and breathed out.

"If I had gotten there a minute later-" I sat up and looked at him.

"No. You did make it. You saved me, Kol." I told him as I leaned close to him, pressing my lips to his in a short sweet kiss. Kol smiled, kissing me back.

"There's two more things." He said, his brown eyes staring at me.

"What is it?"

"There was no woman there. I killed that doctor guy and a few other doctory people. But there was no leader. We thought the doctor was it." I looked away from him, thinking about whether or not Irina would come to try and finish what she had started or not.

"Okay- and the second thing?" Kol grabbed my face, making me look at him.

"When we found you.. you had barely any blood left in you. I don't know how you were still alive. We tried to use human blood to get your body going again, but it rejected it- twice." He started. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I was fine right? "You started to get bad fevers, seizing out. At one point we thought we had lost you.." Kol stopped, closing his eyes as he breathed. "But then we got this crazy idea to try Vampire blood..Niklaus's idea."

"Vampire blood doesn't work on me-" I tried but Kol shook his head.

"We hooked you up to me. Pushed my blood into you. Maybe it's part of that sensing you thing or something- I don't know. But it worked." I blinked a few times, trying to process what he had just told me.

"I have- I have your blood in me?" I questioned. Kol nodded. "But- I just don't understand. Your blood shouldn't be able to stay in my body.. I'm already dead. Vampire blood doesn't work on Slayers because we are brought back to life. We are-" I felt my head hurting, trying to figure out why this was working and what it meant. Kol grabbed my chin and pressed his lips to mine gently.

"Stop thinking about it. We'll figure it out. There's got to be some kind of explanation. For now though, Get some rest." He pulled me to lay my head on his chest, his arm wrapping under me and pulling me close to him. "I'm not going anywhere." He whispered, his fingers brushing through my hair once more, soothing my thoughts. I hummed in acceptance, falling asleep listening to his soft breathing.