Chapter XIV: Al-Qaum

I took a deep breath as I began to wake up. The feeling of cold running through me, making me snap my eyes open to see I was not in my room. My arms and legs strapped to a table. I tried to break my arm free but noticed I wasn't as strong as I was. An IV stuck in my arm, a red liquid leaving my arm and into a bag that was nearly full. I blinked a few times, trying to process what was happening to me.

"You're awake. Goodie." I snapped my eyes to the figure that was walking closer, my eyes widening at the woman before me.

"Irina?" I choked out staring at the grown looking version of of the young girl I once knew.

"Hello Echo. Lovely to see you again- Well it would be if it was under different circumstances." She spoke. I shook my head, confusion running through my head.

"But you died-"

"No I didn't! They told you that?? Cause we all know you were not there." Irina snorted, walking over to the blood bag and trading it out for a new one.

"But- Why would they lie?" I asked her, confused. Irina looked at me pressed her hand to my cheek. "Why are you doing this to me, Irina? What have I ever done to you??" I slurred out. Blinking as I stared at her, feeling lightheaded from blood lost.

"What have you ever done to me-" Irina roared out a laugh, shaking her head at me as she slapped my cheek hard. "It's not what you have done to me, Echo." She said in a serious tone, her blue eyes staring at me. "It's what you didn't."

"What I-I didn't?" I asked as my heart slowed. Blinking my eyes hard trying to keep them open. I had no idea how many bags of blood they had already taken from me, but I knew it had to be a lot.

"You could have saved me, Echo. You could have taken me away." She said softly, her eyes showing memories running past her mind. "But you didn't. You let them take a 7year old and put her through such a gruesome experience."

"I cou-couldn't, Irina."

"YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT!!" She snapped. "You were the Guardian. The Potential I looked up to. But you didn't fight the initiation of young girls. THEY BURIED ME ALIVE!" She screamed. Tears welling in her eyes. I gasped as tears filled my eyes. "They didn't just bring me to the brink of death, they forgot about me."

"I-I didn't know. I-" I tried but it was getting so hard to stay awake.

"I know. I watched you. You see-" She smirked, pacing in front of the table. "While they forgot about me, a man saved me. Dug me up and raised me as his own. Made me watch them lie about my death and how you failed to save so many- including your father." I winced at the mention of my father. Remembering his death in the woods as I struggle to stay awake.

"Irina-" I tried. She made a tsking sound.

"So here I am, Echo. The man who saved me had turned me into the one thing you were trained to fight. But you see- that's not the best part." She moved to the steel table near me, pulling the blanket off of it and revealing a body. I tried to get a better look, confusion fogging my mind. "Meet- Al-Qaum." She said with a smile.

"Th-the God?"

"Well not yet. You see he needs blood and a heart. The sacrifice of what he made, to bring him to life." She said, stroking it's cheek. I wanted to gag I was so beyond grossed out by it. A man came into the room.

"Irina, we must do this now or her heart won't be viable." He said. Irina smiled, nodding.

"I suppose we are out of time. It was amazing to see you again, Echo- but you have a destiny to fulfill." She said before leaving the room. I looked at the doctor looking man who came over to me.

"You probably won't feel it- You're body is numbing from blood loss. But who knows? I've never done this before." He muttered, reaching over and grabbing a scalpel. Pulling my top open, he brought the sharp end to my chest and pressed. Searing pain running through me as he cut deeper. The sound of screams and crashing echoed outside of the room making the doctor pause, looking back to see nothing. "Hmm- better hurry then." He mumbled, continuing to cut into my chest. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. The pain burning through me as more crashing came from beyond the doors. The doctor stopped as the door crashed open. I tried to look but I couldn't move. My eyes fighting so hard to stay open. The doctor screamed as something came up to him and a hand came out of his back with his heart in his hand.

"Echo? Darlin'?" Kol's face popped up above me, worry written all over his face.

"K-Kol?" I stuttered as my eyes closed. I felt his warm hands on my cheeks.

"Keep your eyes open, sweetheart. Look at me okay?" He whispered. I felt someone releasing the straps from my arms and legs, before being scooped up. "Come on, Echo. Stay with me." That was the last thing I heard as the world collapsed around me into an ocean of darkness.