Chapter VII: Daddy Issues

Kol moved closer, moving his lips over mine. I couldn't stop mine from reacting to his, tilting my head as he kissed me. His hand pulling my face closer. I don't know what it was, but something clicked in my brain. I lifted my hands up, shoving him away from me.

"Why would you do that?!" I exclaimed, running my hand through my semi dried hair. Thoughts of my training running through my head as I try to fit where this would go. Kol looked at me a bit dazed.

"Do what?" Kol breathed, standing a good distance from me since I had shoved him back.

"Kiss me." I said, blinking a few times fast before looking at his brown foggy eyes. "I was trained to kill creatures like you-" I told him, trying so hard to process my train of thought. "Not be kissed by them." Kol let out a chuckle.

"Trained. And who was the amazing person who trained you to kill us?" He questioned, snapping out his gaze.

"My father." I responded, cringing as Kol let out a snort.

"Yeah? Well my father killed us, letting our mother turn us into these creatures as you keep calling us and now he is trying to kill me and my siblings. So I don't really care for the whole father figure thing." He explained. I looked at him with sympathy.

"Our father's are completely different. I'm sorry for how yours chose to treat you- but my father has done nothing wrong to me." I said calmly. Kol walked towards me.

"Oh really? So he wasn't the one who forced you to become a potential? That's how it works right? You are forced into it by the men in the family." I took in a harsh breath at his words. Thinking back to when I was initiated.

Flashback-

I was about 6 years old. My mother was just killed by a vampire in the night. She had gone out to bring in the firewood since father was busy. She was gone for over an hour before Father noticed she hadn't returned. Finding her on the side of the house, drained of blood and neck twisted. That was the most traumatic thing I saw in my 6year old life. My mother's lifeless body laying there.

The next day was Initiation. I was turning 7 in a few weeks, and before then I had to be put into the ritual. The blood of a pig or goat sacrifice was drawn on my face. Symbols I would never have recognized at that age all over my face. Blood staining my pale skin before a priest was brought forward. Dipping my head into a trough of water.Almost like a baptism, but I wasn't brought back up immediately. The way of passage is to be brought to the brink of death.

They say at initiation, you die and come back as a Potential. When you die as a Potential you come back next as a Slayer. I understood. My father spoke to me of this greater good I would be bringing. The pride I would bring to my family. The vengeance for my mothers death. I was 7 when I killed my first vampire. And I was 16 when my father and I both died at the hands of Elijah Mikaelson.

End of Flashback.

"I read about the initiation. You were cursed." Kol said, he was standing in front of me again, but I pushed him away.

"I was not cursed. I was given strength. An opportunity to avenge my mother and now my father." I told him making him chuckle.

"It was a curse. If it wasn't a curse then it would be breaking a curse." He told me, grabbing me by my forearms and holding me against the wall. "They spread animal blood on your face, making some kind of symbols to call upon some god or demon or something and then basically kill you. So how did they kill you, Echo? Did they bleed you? I read they did that with some of the Potentials. Or were they kinder? Poison you only to use some odd instrument to pump it back out of you? Go on. Tell me all about it." He demanded, pushing me further into the wall. I felt a burning in my eyes. Tears. "You want to fulfill your duty?" He reached over grabbing the stake I had dropped and forced it into my hand. Holding it over his chest. "Do it. Kill me. If you truly want to. Hell, I'll go get a white oak stake for you if you wish." I stared at him, tears leaving my eyes as I stared into his crazed eyes.

"Kol-" I started but I was stopped by his lips on mine, moving aggressively against mine. I pushed him away slightly, breaking his lips from mine. We both stared at each other. Then something clicked. The stake falling to the ground with a clatter and my hands on his face pulling him to me. Our lips reconnecting in a fierce kiss. Kol's hands pushing into my hair as he stepped closer to me. A throat clearing broke us apart.

"Are we interrupting?" I turned slightly to see Niklaus and Elijah standing there. Niklaus was smirking at Kol while Elijah was only shaking his head at us.