The Frog

Kalos. What a place. One that Greninja happily would call home for a long time. He hated this place as a Froakie. No one stuck with him, no one worried about him, until he met Ash. 

Ash was the first person he met who really cared. Proffessor Sycamore took care of him before, sure. But Sycamore really only fed him and gave him a place to sleep. Sycamore let him outside to do his own thing, and if he came back to the lab hurt, Sycamore would just sigh, and then fix him up, before making him stay inside the rest of the day. Sycamore was a perfectly good caretaker, but it just felt like something was off, something was missing.

Greninja found himself feeling the same emotion he would always feel before he met his Trainer. Of course, it came with benefits. Greninja's anger at himself for leaving his Trainer seemed to improve how quickly he destroyed those vines. He merely redirected his anger towards them. If they weren't a problem, he could be with his Trainer again. He had just destroyed a vine, before he stopped.

He felt it. His Trainer, reaching out to him through their bond. Greninja responded to his call, and saw through Ash's eyes, seeing new people Ash probably met, wherever he was. He stopped viewing through Ash's perspective, and was surrounded in a torrent of water. Seeing it again, felt so good, so nostalgic. He felt his new powers coursing through his veins again. He stood taller, and felt great. He looked through Ash's view again, to see the same people from before. Almost all of them had blonde hair, except one, who had more purple-ish hair. He wound up in a green field, standing before his Trainer. 

"Hey Greninja. How are you, bud?"

 Greninja knew it wasn't real, that it was merely their consciousness's communicating. But it felt...right. It felt like it did before. 

Greninja felt disappointed when Ash and him cut the link off, but he felt happy that he wasn't forgotten about. His boosted spirits reflected in his new job. The red vines usually took a little bit of time to dispatch, but after he had connected with Ash again, Greninja was much faster in eliminating them, and soon, he was completely finished. Zygarde said he was all finished up, and could go and rejoin Ash if he liked. Greninja was overjoyed at the thought, and didn't take his time, stowing away on a boat to Kanto.

...

Greninja arrived in Pallet Town, and went to his Trainer's house. If anyone here knew who he was, it would be Ash's mom. Greninja stepped onto the porch, and knocked on the door.

"Coming!" A voice called from inside. Delia opened the door, and paused at the bipedal frog.

"A Greninja?" Delia said, curiously. "What are you doing all the way out here, buddy?"

Greninja croaked, and gave Delia a moment to realize.

"Are you... Ash's Greninja?!" Delia asked.

Greninja nodded, and Delia seemed to understand what he was here for. 

"I'm so sorry, Greninja, but Ash isn't here now. Come inside, rest up for the day. I'll direct you to him tomorrow, okay?" Delia said.

Greninja hesitated, before reluctantly walking inside. Mr. Mime was in the kitchen, keeping an eye on Delia's cooking for her.

"Mimey, you know Greninja, right?" Delia asked, and Mr. Mime gave a nod, before giving a friendly wave to Greninja, who waved back at the Barrier Pokémon.

Greninja was treated to some of Delia's home-cooking, and he immediately understood why Ash loved coming home after his travels. His mother was a saint, Mimey was a good buddy, and Delia made some of the best food on the planet.