Bonds

Greninja dropped down from the roof, and landed in front of Ash. Ash stood still, in shock. Brock gave a small smirk, while Dawn's eyes shined. Lillie quietly gasped. Everyone else looked confused.

Kiawe spoke up, once he realized what was happening. "Ash, is this the Greninja you used in Kalos?" 

Ash didn't speak, or move. It was like he was frozen.

Mallow walked up, and waved her hand in front of Ash's face. "Ash? Hey, Ash?" Mallow stopped waving her hand in Ash's face, and gave the group a shrug.

Brock walked up, and lightly punched Ash's shoulder, which got his attention.

"Huh?" 

"Ya zoned out on us, for a moment, Ash." Brock said.

"Ah. Sorry." Ash apologized, before turning back to Greninja, who remained silent on his part.

"Is this the Greninja from the Kalos league? The one with the special... boost... thing?" Kiawe asked again.

"Yeah, this is him." Ash said, before walking up to Greninja.

"You finished all the vines, right?" Ash asked. Greninja nodded.

 The two spent a moment looking into each other's eyes. Ash slowly pulled out a PokéBall with a small blue shuriken painted on it. He raised it up to show Greninja.

"Well then, old pal? Care to come along, once more?" Ash said, reaching out to Greninja, a hopeful expression sat on his face.

Greninja didn't hesitate. He made a fist, and bumped the PokéBall, sucking him back into it. The ball didn't even shake, it immediately rung, and Ash almost burst into tears, right there. He held it back, his excitement overtook him, and he turned back to his friends, the widest smile he ever had on his face. Everyone smiled back, and Lana exasperatedly gave Kiawe a tissue.

"I don't have the emotional strength for this stuff, man!" Kiawe blubbered. Lana and Sophocles led him away, and everyone else followed them back inside the school.

...

Ash and Greninja knew they were out of practice, so they spent lots of time training. Any in-between time they had was spent practicing, and getting back in the rhythm, as Tierno would put it. Ash paused for a second, wondering how his three other pals from Kalos were doing. 

Shauna had said she was off to Hoenn with Serena, and Ash wasn't really that surprised. The two girls were close, and enjoyed spending time together. 

Trevor had told Ash about his dream to fill the PokéDex, and planned to go to Johto, to catch some Pokémon down there.

 Tierno was where Ash got stumped. When they parted ways, Tierno said he didn't have any clear-cut goal in mind. He just was wandering aimlessly, Ash used to do that too, so he understood why Tierno chose to do that.

Ash was pulled out of his thoughts by Greninja. Despite both Ash and him being tired, Greninja wanted to keep going. Ash smirked, before continuing with their training. Meloetta floated over a few minutes later, with some water and a berry for them both, and Ash told Greninja to take a little break. 

Lillie walked over, Nebby and her Egg nestled comfortably in her bag.

"Alola, Ash. How's training with Greninja going?" 

"It's going great! We still have a little bit more to practice with in Greninja's base form, before we move on to... y'know, that."

Lillie nodded in understanding. Nebby squeaked from inside her bag, and Lillie popped a few Star Candies inside, pleasing the little nebula, as it started eating.