Uncovering Secrets

Asami was fucking nervous.

Why was she nervous? She's never nervous! She doesn't get nervous when picking up people at the bar, asking people out, all those things. She was so fucking smooth and she knew it, so why the fuck was she nervous?

To a date with Korra no less?

Asami woke up this morning feeling stupid. Last night she allowed her territorial self take over her, and it made her do stupid shit. She asked Korra out? Why?! Her intentions were to move as slowly as possible with Korra, so how come she regressed backwards into asking her out?

She had no idea how and why she was in the situation she was in, and what baffled her even further was the fact that she didn't bail on Korra. She couldn't bring herself to do so, as if her subconscious secretly wanted her to date Korra, unlike her healthy logic that demanded that she wouldn't.

And why was she nervous?! What was so fucking special about that girl?

She couldn't put her finger on it. Even when she saw Korra at the bar that night, something about her was different. Asami didn't just go over and charmed her, she felt like she needs to put more effort. And when they hooked up, there wasn't anything alienated or selfish about the act. It was passionate, well communicated and very much in effort to satisfy the other side.

It took her almost an hour getting her makeup right, something she usually did in a matter of minutes. Now, every stroke of her brush seemed crooked, every shade she used felt wrong. She had no idea what came over her, it's like she actually... wanted to impress Korra.

And the worst thing about it? Korra had to be a total sweetheart and offer to pick her up. For some reason, Asami found it quite charming, and she agreed to her offer even though she actually enjoyed driving.  It was unlike her, and she didn't like it.

Just then she got the text to come down.

With a deep breath, Asami went downstairs. She was seriously conflicted; on the one hand, she wanted to hate Korra. She really wanted to hate Korra, she wanted to prove her father wrong no matter what. But on the other hand, she didn't hate her. In fact, one may say she even liked her a little bit- if they were blind and deaf, because Asami did not like Korra. Still, she knew that Korra was probably the best she could do in the whole arranged marriage department, so why was she so desperate to ruin this?

What would her therapist say?

'Well,' Asami mentally imitated his voice, 'it wouldn't be the first time you self sabotage.'

(He would probably say it a bit more gently though.)

And then Asami would scoff. 'Yeah, right. You always say that.' She'd say with an eyeroll.

'You've said it yourself. You're trying to prevent something that could potentially be good for you, and you claim to do so without any good reasoning behind it too. Wouldn't that be classified as self sabotage?' He would calmly answer.

'I'd argue that proving my dad wrong is good reasoning.' Asami would mumble.

'Not when you're the only one getting hurt,' he'd answer.

Asami snapped back to reality when she saw Korra get out of her car with a funny look, making her realize that she'd just been standing there, deep in thought, not sound anything. The thing was, that like real therapy, Asami wasn't going to listen to her fake therapist's advice. So that whole fabricated exchange was absolutely worthless.

"Hellooooo?" Korra waved her hand in front of Asami's face. "Anyone home?"

Asami rolled her eyes. "Well, considering how I've just left my apartment, no."