Breaking Barriers

By the time Asami and Korra had landed, gotten on and off the funicular and walked home it was already pretty late. Yet still, her parents were awake, fully dressed and ready to greet them as they arrived at the palace. They huged her and Asami (who was really surprised and unprepared for that) with big smiles. Asami was in a weird haze as they broke apart, but her parents didnt seem to notice that, it was probably a little too late in the day for them. They stayed and the four chatted for a few minutes before Senna yawned loudly and rubbed her eyes.

"Tired, mom?" Korra asked.

"Well, we only stayed awake to greet you two, so yes," Korra's mother admitted  "it's really to see you, sweetheart."

"Thanks mom," Korra smiled at her.

"I was talking to Asami," her mom said as if it was obvious, "I see you all the time on FaceTime."

"Jee, thanks," Korra mumbled while Asami giggled at the joke.

"I'm kidding!" Her mother smiled mischievously. "It's great to see the both of you! But, I think I'm gonna go to bed now."

"I'll join you," her dad nodded in agreement. "Korra, I trust that you'll show her around the place?"

"I'm sure Asami's way too tired to have a tour right now," Korra said apologetically, "but maybe tomorrow–"

"I'm not tired," Asami interjected, "actually I'm pretty jetlagged, are you too tired?"

Korra blinked. "Um, no–"

"Great, so after you?" Asami grinned.

Her father chuckled. "I like this one," he told Senna, smiling.

"We have good taste," Senna nodded in agreement.

"Ew guys, ew." Korra pinched the bridge of her nose. "Can you two just go to sleep? Good night."

"Good night sweetheart," her mom answered, "and you too darling," she turned to Asami.

"Oh, uh, same." Asami answered awkwardly.

Korra laughed, not used to seeing Asami anything other then confident. She waved her parents goodbye as they left, then placed her hand on Asami's shoulder, making her turn around and face her.

"This way city girl," she gently directed her, "I'll show you around."

"How sweet," Asami smiled.

While the ice palace was pretty grand, Korra didn't feel like it really lived up to the expectations. It was well designed and decorated, but much more... homely then say, Hiroshi's mansion. While she never cared about it, now she felt slightly embarrassed. She never showed the place around to a girl like Asami, and she really wanted to impress her. She was pretty nervous, until Asami interrupted her rumbling with a big smile.

"I love it here."

Korra blinked, unsure that she heard Asami correctly. "You... what?"

"I love it here," Asami repeated, walking to a nearby dresser, looking at the framed pictures resting on it, "it's so... warm."

"It's literally freezing," Korra joked, feeling the relief spread across her.

"Oh, Shush you." Asami playfully rolled her eyes. "I just meant... it's so... comfortable. It doesn't feel as empty as..."

Asami caught herself, her face falling slightly. Korra studied her expression carefully and curiously, trying to catch her eyes, unsuccessfuly. Asami wasn't one to open up often, and though  she had already heard about Hiroshi's feelings towards his house, she never heard it from Asami's point of view. In fact, she didn't hear much from Asami about her life, nothing about her job, childhood, college and adulthood. Most of what she knew came from other sources, and she never knew if those were relyable ones.