Cornering

Korra added her protein powder to the cup and closed the lid. She made sure it was closed tight, and started shaking it. Other than protein powder, her shake consisted of spinach, kale, cauliflower and mango so that she doesn't puke on herself and go commit suicide. She missed chocolate so much, she had no idea how she was going to survive the next couple of months on this fucking diet.

She took a sip, grimaced, and cursed the day she started taking MMA classes.

"How's your shake?" Her mother asked.

"Disgusting." Korra grumbled. "How's your Ramen?"

"It looks almost as amazing as it tastes," her mother chuckled, "you sure you don't want some?"

"Nah, I gotta keep in shape," Korra tapped on her stomach, "the pre-match to the international championship are soon and I wanna do my absolute best. Plus, what if I meet the love of my life there and I don't have abs to show off?"

"Well, if she's the love of your life I assume she wouldn't be into you just because of your physical shape," her mom answered, "she'd love you because of your personality!"

Korra rolled her eyes. "Mom, I don't work out so much because I want girls to drool over my personality." She answered like it was obvious. "Besides, my muscles are basically a part of my personality now."

"You're ridiculous." Her mother said.

Korra laughed, leaning in to give her a kiss on the cheek. "I'm your daughter, you can only blame yourself."

"I blame your father," she answered, winking her way.

As if on cue, the front door opened and her dad walked in, smiling and waving a letter in his hands. "Korra! You got mail."

"Who the fuck uses mail these days?" Korra chuckled.

"Language." Her mom scolded.

"I'm eighteen!" Korra complained.

"Apperently, the Southern Defence Forces do," her dad answered with a smirk.

Korra almost dropped her smoothie. "Shut up." She said, shocked. "I got an answer?"

"Yep," he said, "you wanna open it?"

Korra surged towards him, snatching the letter out of his hand and tearing it open. Her eyes browsed through the words, searching for the phrase she was looking for, until she found it.

'We are pleased to inform you, that after careful evaluation we found you eligible for a military service..."

Korra squealed in excitement, her hand slapping to cover her mouth. This was it. She actually got in. She's been dreaming about that day for so long, she's going to be the best fucking soldier in history, just like her father.

Then she saw the date listed, and her smile dropped.

"But that's... that's a month from now." She mumbled. "How is that possible?"

"A month?" Her mother said in shock. "I thought the whole drafting process takes about a year!"

"The army is in a bit of a man power shortage," her father said, eyebrows knotted, "but I didn't know they were shortening the the process by this much."

"That means I won't be in the championship." Korra realized.

"Can't you just, delay this?" Her mom asked.

"It's the army Senna. If she delays it she could be transferred to a lesser unit, or not get in at all." Tonaraq sighed.

"So what? It's all or nothing?" Korra asked sadly. "I have to choose?"