22 ° Desert Sand.

❝I THINK I GOT IT, IT FINALLY CLICKED!❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE CHILDHOOD OF ONE CHILD IS A WORTHLESS SACRIFICE FOR SCIENCE AND RESEARCH. It was mandatory, one would say, for the intention was to provide them with a life that would be identical to a video game. Children love games, don't they? After all, that was the way adults perceived children.

He was blessed with the name Nagisa.

Nagisa Shingetsu.

His given name meant "shore" or "water's edge," and his family name meaning "new moon."

His parents took the simple route when raising him—make it just like a game. If they replaced the "work" with "fun," then he would begin to associate learning with play.

They wanted to raise the perfect child, someone they could push to their limits while still making it an enjoyable experience. In theory, this would work. In execution, perhaps they made a broken child, an empty shell of what a child is supposed to be.

(Count the prime numbers in your head, Nagisa.)

(2, 3, 5.)

The blue-haired boy had an indifferent expression plastered on his face as the kids next to him laughed, playing with one another. He stared at the exams in his hand—the results of his midterms. He was in the Gifted Children's program, after all. Nagisa didn't have the time to "play around" as other children in his grade did, whether they were gifted children or general education kids. Being a Shingetsu meant that he had a title to live up to, even if that meant abandoning a social life.

He needed to be that "ideal child" every parent dreamed of having—straight A's, straight hair, straightforward.

Cutting corners was forbidden.

He could hear his heartbeat in his chest, pumping blood with every breath he took. Anxiously, while still sitting on the bench, he shifted through the results of his midterms.

"100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 99..." His eyes widened upon the last one, the score written in red ink mocking him. His heart raced as his breath grew shaky, a sudden dizzy spell cast on his head.

He received a 99 in French, of course.

It was inevitable that he would slip up in that subject—only taught to gifted children, who would be able to handle the rigorous course alongside improving their Japanese and English.

Japanese. Social Studies. Science. English. Mathematics.

It didn't matter if he got perfect scores in those subjects, and it didn't matter if he had accomplished feats no other child had at his age. He was no regular child, after all. He was Nagisa Shingetsu—someone destined for success and greatness in the future. If he failed to live up to those expectations, then his entire world would crumble around him.