XLIII

Lillian felt awkward having to bring it up, but she knew she would have to say something. Daria was just too great a danger to avoid monitoring. Before she could decide otherwise, she cleared her throat loudly. Across the room, Daria glanced up in annoyance.

"I wanted to talk about last week," Lillian began tentatively.

"What about it?" Daria answered offhandedly. Lillian noticed awkward nervousness starting to creep into her expression.

"You haven't told anyone," Lillian confirmed.

Daria scoffed. "We don't really have many friends in common."

This, at least, was true. Lillian didn't really spend time with a lot of Daria's friends, with the exception of her boyfriend Brandon Stephenson, who Lillian had shared a thaumaturgy lab with. Their only real common friend was Leslie. And since Leslie was closest to Lillian, Daria probably thought that it would be best for Lillian to tell her. Even so, Lillian wished Daria was making a stronger commitment. "But you haven't told anyone," she reiterated.

Daria shook her head. "No, I haven't told anyone," she explained dully.

"I'm sorry to bother you about it," Lillian continued, not feeling particularly sorry. "But you can't tell anyone about who I am. Or about the thaumaturgy." It was already awkward and dangerous that Daria believed Lillian was hiding thaumaturgical ability. But it would become even more dangerous if Daria were to tell people that she could, in fact, do thaumaturgy. To the point where it might reach the ears of the DIAO.

Lillian wasn't sure what would happen at that point.

"It's really important that you keep the secret," Lillian stressed. "The DIAO told me not to tell anyone. They'd be very upset if they knew you found out. It's supposed to be classified." She tried to make it sound as serious as she could.

Daria nodded, her worry amplified. "I'm not going to tell anyone. I promise."

Lillian grimaced. She supposed that she would just have to trust Daria.

Dakota slid open the top drawer of his file cabinet and deposited the pizza box inside. Moments later, he retrieved it from the second drawer down, then tossed it abruptly towards his siblings. Ray caught it in midair with a surprised expression, passing it to Em, who turned the box completely around before flipping it open and offering it to Dakota. He tugged out a slice while the twins watched and then passed the box toward them. Em mimicked him with an awkward motion, dripping a trail of grease across the box and using both hands to hold the slice. Ray slid a slice easily out of the box and held it in a practiced motion, raising it to his mouth and taking a bite.

"This is good," he commented with vague interest. "What is it again?"

"Pizza," Dakota repeated. "Cheese and tomato sauce."

Ray nodded with vague interest and returned to the slice. Em was still holding hers awkwardly, grease running between her fingers and down her arm. Dakota tore off the lid of the box and passed it to her. "Use a plate," he said firmly. She glared, but complied, pulling the banausic plate closer and dropping her piece with a wet slapping noise. Immediately, she reached up to rub a drop of grease out of her eye. Dakota handed her a paper napkin.

Ray took the last bite of his slice. He looked at Dakota with an obviously hungry expression. Dakota nodded distractedly, and Ray reached for another.

"Pretty good," Em remarked, her mouth full with her first bite. Ray glared, seemingly frustrated by his sister's general lack of manners. Dakota noticed his expression and waved it off with a simple motion of his hand.

"I really hate when you do that, you know," Ray said suddenly. Dakota looked to him with sudden interest.

"You've had a long time to learn," Ray continued. "Just because you're in charge of the family doesn't mean you get to dismiss my concerns. And this is not about what Em just did, it's in general. I don't even like having to look to you before I eat."

Dakota sighed. "I'm sorry. Like you said, it's been a long time. I wasn't used to having you around." One thing he understood about Ray was that if he ever brought up a concern, it was something he meant. Not something that could be dismissed or ignored.

"Thanks," Ray answered quietly, and relished another bite. Dakota gave a half smile.

He'd missed the twins.