24

Alcohol, unwanted stares warning

The path! Finally! After walking in this forest for days you had a sign of life, and shelter. The golden guard scrambled to pull the map out of the satchel while you kicked the dirt and gravel beneath your foot. The forest still surrounded you but the path was a sign of hope, and a sign that you'd finally be getting out of here soon.

"According to the map we are... here." The golden guard showed you the map. He pointed to a path, on the edge of the forest, along the path, aways away from you, a large town called Blackwater, was drawn.

You watched as the golden guard looked at the sky over you, the trees parted around the path, giving a clear view of the sky. "It's late afternoon, hopefully we can get there soon." He picked up his pace again, walking along the path, and you walked after him.

"I cant wait to get back to civilisation." You piped up with a grin on your face. "I would've gone insane if I had to spend another minute with only you." The golden guard added to your comment, you gasped, fake offended as he laughed with a teeth-showing smile. "I can't believe you would say that!" You huffed. "Sorry, darling, just the truth." He smiled over at you. You couldn't help but redden at the name he just called you. "Whatever" you finished your fake argument and looked up to the sky.

The sun had almost fully dipped, and if you kept at this pace you'd make it to Blackwater well into dark, hopefully somewhere you can grab a bed, for the night, is still open.

Your hand felt cold, because of the lack of the golden guards hand in yours. You didn't want to grab it because you'd already had that day. Your need to grab his hand started processing in your head, and wow, you were in deep. You'd always tried to ignore the feelings, and the way butterflies erupted in your stomach every time he smiled and looked your way. How badly you wanted to run your fingers through his blonde, silky hair. You finally came to terms with the feelings you felt, you were in deep with the boy. All the moments you'd shared, swinging your hands between you, healing his scars, hell, you didn't even run away at the perfect moment you could.

The things he said to you, called you, you tried to reason in your head to way he would treat you changed from when you met, he was rude and dehumanising and now all you want to do is be next to him.

I'm the midst of your thoughts the path narrowed, you looked up to see a sign and a fork in the road. As the two of you neared the sign you could tell what it said, it read Blackwater and pointed you in the direction of the big town, you smiled, finally excited that you would be in the familiarity of civilisation again.

Your thoughts escaped your mind and you let yourself feel the cool night air, it softly flowed around you, ruffling your hair and swaying the branches of trees. Fireflies flew around you too, their glowing lit up the path slightly. You sighed, "It's so beautiful during early autumn nights, it's the perfect mix of warm and cold, and there's always that smell in the air." The golden guard laughed from beside you, "You're very good with your words when it comes to something you're passionate about." You smiled at his regard, "I think it's only because you're good company." You spoke.

The air around you paused, and you could tell it's because of your comment. "Is that a compliment?" He asked, genuinely. "Something like that." You shrugged, and he nodded. You were almost impressed with how he didn't catch on the tone of your voice sometimes or the social ques of others when they stop talking, or look at him to ask for input, but then again he's the golden guard, he's never had a real emotional connection.

"Goldie?" You asked, you were going to ask him a question but he interrupted you. "Hunter." He spoke, hesitantly but abruptly. You furrowed your eyebrows at the boy next to you "What?" The air stilled between you too, making you more confused, before he piped up, "My name is Hunter." You brain finally clicked and your eyes widened, he told you his name, and it fit him very well. "Hunter." You tried, seeing how the name rolled off your tongue and you heard him sharply inhale. "You ok?" You quizzed. He nodded, "I haven't heard anyone call me that in awhile." You smiled at him, you almost felt bad, and slid your hand to his, for the second time today, all worry fine. "I think it suits you." You added, and he looked at you with heavy eyes. "You do?" You nodded, ending the conversation there.