26

You felt the shaking of a carriage along a dirt road, and heard the voices of two people talking from the outside of the carriage. You opened your eyes but couldn't see, and felt a piece of fabric wrapped around your head. You went to move the fabric but felt your wrists were tied together. You groaned, in discomfort but also from the aching of your back and head.

The chattering from the carriage stopped, and you heard a young man's voice speak. "They're awake." "I can hear that." A deeper voice responded. You immediately got pricked with fear "Hey! What's going on?" You asked, rolling around trying to find the sources of the voices. The two men laughed. "You've got a high bounty on your head, darling." The young man spoke, You huffed out and sat up without your hands. "Like I don't know." There was silence for a second, the two men were probably exchanging looks between each other. "Well, I'll explain everything to you." You the young man spoke again, before hearing the metal door of the carriage squeak open, and you heard him clamber from the passenger seat to the side of the carriage.

You frowned, "here I'll get that for you." You felt him pull off the fabric covering your eyes. Your eyes adjusted to the scenery of the carriage as the young man, with brunette hair and small elf ears sat down on one of the padded seats, and extended his arms across the head of the seat.

You frowned up at him, with narrowed eyes from the floor, and he seemed to find that amusing as he laughed. "Listen, we're just doing our job." You rolled your eyes and gave him no response. "My names Tyler, and we saw you back in Blackwater getting chased." You suddenly remembered it all, being chased, walking out on Hunter, the fall. "And, well, Belos's bounty on you is not the only exisiting one, you've made yourself quite popular on the boiling isles for stealing." You looked up at him, your life from before you started wild magic seemed so long ago, and it was. "We're taking you to this rich guy who we work for, you've stolen things from his multiple estates around the isles, nothing bad will happen to you, because he's reasonable, but you'll probably work on his farm for awhile to pay back for the things you've stolen."

You looked up at the boys amber eyes, he seemed relatively around the same age you were, you wondered why he was working and not at school. "The same thing happened to me, I work bounties and in the barn now." You nodded, thinking about the future ahead of you. Working on a farm, to pay off the things you've stolen, meeting the community that works for him, it all didn't sound horrible, but you weren't completely settled to be tied down already. Tyler seemed to read your mind just by your face. "I get it, I wasn't ready to be stopped yet either, but it's not that bad, we do get our freedom." You nodded, but immediately regretted it from the pain the struck through your spine.

Tyler laughed, and you looked up at him with a bemused face. "You had a really bad fall, from three stories straight to the cement, I'll take you to the meds as soon as you're done talking to Mr. Baithwaite."

You sighed and leaned back on the seat behind you. The shaking of the carriage tiring you out. "I'm Y/N." You spoke, looking at the brunette. He nodded, "Why're you a bounty of Belos's?" He asked sliding down onto the floor in front of you, laying his back against the seat across from you. You thought, "I do wild magic. He wanted me in a coven." Tyler nodded, not knowing you'd lied to his face. "My entire family is magic-less, I spent a lot of time waiting for a palismen." You'd heard of palismen before, you read about them, but never had one of your own. You listened to Tyler speak, you were exhausted and didn't hear him fully, but you nodded along to his words.

Suddenly as you were about to drop into a slumber, the carriage stopped. "We're here." You heard the voice of the older man from the drivers seat of the carriage speak. You groaned from your tired state, and let Tyler help you to your feet.

Tyler fiddled with the door, before opening it and stepping outside, and suddenly you were met with the most beautiful manor you had ever seen. You were at the front of the Braithwaite manor, a large marble fountain behind you, large trees lined the long path from the walls of that surrounded the manor, that seemed so far away. Behind the fences that were behind the trees on the long path were orchards full with fruit trees, you some people on ladders picking at the fruit and placing them in the baskets. Behind the manor were long farm lands, with any crop you could imagine being grown, and in the farm distance you could see the barns, were animals were kept, opposite of those on the other side of the farm land were the cabins where the workers stayed. Some other buildings and marks, like outhouses and benches, that lined the river that ran through the farm. You were sure that you could see all of the land from where you were.

Tyler laughed at your shocked expression and helped you down from the carriage, I was shocked too when I first saw it, it's beautiful and shady in the summer due to all the trees. You did realise the amount of trees that surrounded the area. "This place is hidden from view, so it's like a haven, it's not even on most maps!" You smiled at the boy.

"Tyler, bring them to Mr. Braithwaite will you? I have to go supervise the barn workers, they're have difficulties." The man, who looked about 40, said. "Sure thing."

Tyler walked with you up the stairs that led up to the house, waving at the two guards who stood beside each side of the double doors. Tyler pushed the door open, and you met with a very victorian style looking interior. "It's beautiful isn't it? I envy the people who get to work in here as maids or as nanny's for Mr. Braithwaites children." as soon as the brunette said that, two little girls went running by, with a tired, blonde girl with three eyes chased after them. "Holly, Harriet! Stop causing a ruckus!" She shouted after them.

The two of you laughed as Tyler began leading you up the stairs. You felt nervous, although Tyler's description of this so called Mr. Braithwaite didn't seem so bad. You reached the top of the stairs and looked at the family portraits that lined the walls before reaching a door. "I'll wait outside for you." Tyler spoke, before opening the door and entering.

"Hi Mr. Braithwaite, Y/N is here for you." The man sat behind a desk, that had a window behind it. Bookshelves and paintings lined the walls, and a few chairs say in front of the desk, that was cluttered with pens and paper. "Thank you, Tyler." "Of course!" Tyler smiled before turning around giving you a reassuring look and walking off.

"Take a seat, Y/N."