The Hallway

Dancing. Music. Smiles.

The villagers of Encanto rolled into Antonio's massive room, craning their necks to admire the shimmering canopy of trees. Antonio clung to the back of a jaguar, laughing and grinning as the strong animal pounced from branches and stones.

"A picture, to celebrate our family gifts!" The Madrigal Abuela called, summoning her children and grandchildren to her side.

Flash.

Mirabel bit her lip and dropped her gaze to the floor. They took the picture without her.

"Hey, let's get out of here." You said sympathetically, nudging her arm. She looked up, surprised, then nodded, following you back into the main hall.

"Sorry, it's just this whole thing is hard for me since..." she trailed off. Taking a deep breath, she continued, "I should've gotten a gift. But I didn't."

"You're more important than what you can do, Mirabel," You tried to console her. "I'm sure your family loves you."

She half-heartedly smiled. "Thanks, (y/n). But it doesn't feel that way." She sighed. "Can I have a minute alone?"

"Of course," you easily agreed, walking away. "Come find me if you need anything." The yawning, high-ceilinged main hall was now dark. As you mounted the stairs, a shadowy figure darted across the balcony.

Bruno.

You instantly recognized the lanky man from your grandma's cursed portrait. Didn't he disappear ages ago? Why is he back here? Skeptical and curious, you tip-toed past the sparkling golden doors, higher and higher. As you approached, Bruno sped up. You broke into a light jog, you feet falling softly on the wooden floor.

He suddenly disappeared. Vaporized into the shadows. You cautiously halted, seeing nothing but a drab, crookedly hanging painting on the wall where he had been. You huffed in frustration. You knew what you had seen, but where was he?

Creak. Did someone just step on the floorboards? You whirled around, but saw nothing. The dark, eerie hallway made you wish you had brought a flashlight. Calm down. Exhaling, you started to walk away.

You bumped into a hard chest. With a quiet gasp, your eyes flashed up.

"Looking for something?" Camilo stared down at you. You were standing close, too close. His warm breaths brushed against your neck. In the silence of hall, you thought you could hear his heartbeat. You suppressed a shiver and waited for him to move.

He didn't.

"What do you want, Camilo?" You finally took a quick step back, creating distance. Your back was pressed against the wall.

His head cocked to the side. "Aw, you remembered my name." He reached his arm above your head to adjust the crooked painting. He finished, and left his hand against the wall by your head.

"Can you move your arm." You said through gritted teeth.

"Mm... I don't think I will," He slowly said, watching your reaction. He leaned forward on his hand, trapping you between his body and the wall. Your breath quickened, and this time he heard it.

He gave a short chuckle and slightly leaned back to give you space. "Tell me your name and I'll move, Mariposa."

"(y/n)."

Camilo half-smiled. "(y/n)." The two of you stood frozen for an electric heartbeat. Then, as promised, he lowered his hand.

You inhaled, then pushed past his shoulder and fast-walked back to Antonio's party. You didn't turn around. But you felt those chocolate eyes watching you.