Don't Forget Me (S)

You hadn't meant to fall asleep.

You bolted out of Isabella's room, sending an agitated flurry of petals swirling in your wake.

Wooden panels creaked underneath your step, and Casita helpfully bumped you to an open window. With an excited clickity-clack, Casita created makeshift stairs by popping sawdusty bricks out from the side of the house. Your feet rushed down, landing securely on the dewy grass.

Foggy morning air hung heavy and cold on your skin. You shivered started to jog back home.

Maybe I can still get back before my father realizes I was gone all night. Last time he didn't know. Maybe-

"Woah, where are you going?" Camilo panted, chasing after you.

"Back home, Camilo."

"Hey," Camilo caught up, and relaxed into an easy running pace. "My abuela's birthday party is in 3 days. I know she doesn't like you, but do you want to come over? We could hide, and... I don't know, just hang out?"

"I don't know," You groaned, pausing by your house's front door. The late-morning sunlight painted its rough surface in glowing streaks. "My dad is going to kill me." You'd meant to exaggerate, but who knew what he was capable of? 

"Do you think he's gonna hurt you?" Camilo darkly worried, noticing your hesitation. He reached for your arm.  "You don't have to go in there alone. I can-"

"No, okay?" You snapped. Camilo flinched, jerking his hand back as if your fiery retort had scorched his fingers. 

"Sorry," You guiltily apologized, pressing your eyes together. "I don't want you to go in there. Dolores says he has a gift. He can change memories. I mean, this is serious Camilo."

"Look at me." Camilo commanded, gently lifting your face with one hand. "I could never forget you."

Adorably romantic but factually incorrect.

"I like that idea," you exhaled, nuzzling your cheek into his hand. You blinked up at him. "But I need to do this alone. Please."

"You're supposed to say, 'I wouldn't ever forget you, either,'" Camilo joked, deliberately brushing a lock of hair away from your eyes with his thumb. His smile darkened. "If you're in trouble, tell Dolores. She'll hear you. I'm gonna stay here for a minute; to make sure you're okay." 

"My father would beat you up," You laughingly protested. 

Camilo winked as he leaned up against the brick house next-door. "I'd get beat up for you, hermosa." 

"You're so weird," You tried to squelch your stupid grin, kicking an unfortunate pebble down the cobblestone. 

"Yeah, but you love it." 

With a warm, fuzzy burst of confidence, you tipped the door open and glided inside, shutting it softly behind you. 

"Why do you like that Madrigal boy so much?" Your father quietly said, eying you with a disappointed frown. Shadows striped his face as he crossed his arms on the table. You aggressively yanked a chair from under the table and dropped onto its seat sideways. 

"You have a gift," You directly accused. Your father startled, astonished. "That's what you've been hiding. All of this 'wait a week' nonsense." Your voice escalated to a furious shout. "What happens in a week?" 

"Don't raise your voice, young lady," Your father sighed, his warning limp and forceless. He rubbed his temples. "It's not a week. It's only 3 days." 

"You've been changing my memory!" Your voice became choked in hot, angry tears, and you blinked hard, frustrated. "I don't know anything about my own life!" 

"Then I'll tell you," your father conceded, surprising you by compassionately reaching across the table to pat your hand. 

"I'll tell you everything about our Encanto and how it fell to ruin."