Sunset Celebration (N)

Author's note: I started writing this story before it was released that Camilo is 5'4... so let's all assume that he's 5'9. Sound okay? Good.

"Camilo never told me about you. If you're dating my son, we need to have a serious conversation."

"I'm sorry he didn't say anything." You swallowed, apprehensively scrunching Isabella's clue. The sandy-smooth paper crinkled between your fingers. You quickly added, "He should've. You're his mother."

"Don't try to flatter me," Pepa skeptically warned, but the thunder drained out of her lingering cloud. She deeply inhaled, dispersing the cloud with a controlled wave of her fingers. "Clear skies, Clear skies..."

You patiently rolled a loose cobblestone underneath your shoe. You felt uncomfortable watching Pepa wrestle her gift for control. It loosely mirrored Camilo's panicked struggle in Bruno's cave.

"Finally," She announced when the cloud floated away. "So. Why are you dating Camilo?"

"Because... I like him?" You offered. How am I supposed to respond to that?

"You're dating him. I would hope so," Pepa pointed out, her lips twitching upward in a wry smile. "What about him do you like?"

"Oh," You rummaged through your memories with Camilo, flushing lightly. "I like his hair. How gentle he is with Antonio. That he genuinely cares about every kid in our Encanto. He would die for his family. He's a hopeless flirt. Whenever I'm around him, everything feels better."

"I'd better write that down. Felix and his ridiculous traditions." She rolled her eyes as if supremely annoyed, but a shimmery rainbow sailed above her head.

She really loves Felix. Maybe one day... could Camilo and I love each other like that? The thought made you feel shivery and warm inside.

"How many clues in are you? Only two?" Pepa sympathetically shook her head. "The first ones are always the easiest. Dolores' old boyfriend gave up around number 5. Too much running, he said." She frowned spitefully as she handed you the next clue. "I never liked him. But I like you. So you should hurry."

The perimeter of magic, round the bend, find the one with cooking that mends.

"He wants me to run around the entire border of the Encanto until I find Julieta?" You incredulously gaped. "But that's over 5 miles!"

"Better get running," Pepa unwaveringly smiled, raising her eyebrows like a challenge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each step up the steep mountain side sent a pulse of exhaustion through your wobbly legs. A dusky, deep purple-pink hue stained the sky.

All day you had traipsed across the Encanto, collecting clues and answering Felix's sacred compatibility questions. As the evening sky darkened, you hoped you would find Felix before his vague deadline of "nightfall."

Augustin at the bee tree. Mirabel at the bridge. Dolores and Antonio in the forest.

After meeting with every Madrigal but Felix and Camilo, you felt proud of your determination to finish. You hauled yourself up the cliff, halting at a rocky platform. This was the highest anyone could physically climb without being a mountain goat with a death wish. Or being Luisa.

Breathing hard, you surveyed the plane with disappointment. I don't see Felix. Did I read the clue wrong? Does this mean I failed?

A think, stick-like silhouette caught your eye. With your sore legs wailing in protest, you rounded the mountainside. The sticks were unlighted torches, and they surrounded a grassy square of land. You peered into a cliffside cave behind them. Cheers and clapping erupted from the pitch-black entrance.

"She found us! I knew she would!" Antonio joyfully shouted, running out onto the grass.

The Madrigals spilled out of the alcove, surrounding you with smiling faces and rowdy applause. Felix had even invited his family.

"You did it, (y/n)!" Mirabel laughed, twirling you in a circle.

"I'm proud of you, sweetie." Julieta quietly smiled.

"Time for the celebration!" Felix cheerfully roared, theatrically extending his hands exactly like you'd seen Camilo do before. "Light the torches!" Felix's two brothers whooped merrily, lighting crackling flares all around the mountain cliff.

Mirabel rolled out a blanket, helping her mother set down a feast. Music burst into the sunset mountain as Augustin and three cousins from Felix's side strummed guitars and rhythmically tapped their hands on cylindrical drums. Antonio scampered around the torched perimeter, leaving a golden trail with his sparkler.

You frowned, turning in a full circle as you scanned the chaotic celebration. Where was he?

"Looking for something?"

Camilo's silhouette shadowed the heavy purple sky, a smirk playing on his lips and his hands hidden underneath his yellow ruana. He stepped forward until your chests were almost touching. Breathing heavily, his soft, forest-colored eyes stared into yours.

Your heartbeat tripped. He could still make your breaths uneven. Just like he had the night of Antonio's party in that hallway. The guitarists changed their song, picking a light, nostalgic melody.

He secured his hands around your waist, and a sugary gust breathed down your back. You locked your fingers behind the warm nape of his neck, swaying to the music.

"Mariposa," he huskily murmured, nuzzling his nose into your hair. Your heart glowed like a sparkler.

"Oh, no. They're watching us," you warned. Over Camilo's shoulder, you spotted Felix and his brothers laughing and pointing.

"Good," Camilo whispered, his arms pressing you against him. His steady heartbeat thudded against yours. "Close your eyes. They're not even here."

Your eyelids slipped shut. You relaxed your head snugly underneath Camilo's chin, melting into his chest. A warm evening breeze willowed through your hair.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Camilo, your girlfriend will be here later. Time for dinner." Isabella eventually interrupted, knocking her knuckles on his head.

"No," Camilo grumbled, squeezing you tighter as if Isabella was trying to steal you away.

"C'mon," You nudged him gently. "We don't want to make everyone wait." You untangled yourself from Camilo and followed Isabella to Julieta's extensive blanket spread. You dropped down on the grass next to Mirabel, and she smiled, hanging onto your arm.

"Welcome, family," Felix cleared his throat to gather everyone's attention. "I have reviewed (y/n)'s answers." The Madrigals politely listened, but Felix's family eagerly leaned forward, anticipation sparkling in the air.

"You found a good one, son." Felix congratulated, heartily slapping Camilo's back. "Always treat her like the sunflower that she is. Don't lose her."

An uproarious bout of cheers exploded from Felix's family. Dolores grinned, covering her ears. Even Alma cracked a rare smile for you.

The sun sleepily sunk down. With the orange glow of the torches illuminating the pitch-black mountainside, the feast began. You giggled with Mirabel late into the night, nibbling on Julieta's dishes and exchanging secretive glances with Camilo from across the blanket.

When Felix enthusiastically proposed a toast in your name, you lost your regrets about your father and his lies in the invisible magic that swirled around the glow of the party.

I've found my new family.