Chapter 7

Both Jeff and Liu were floored by this decision. Both boys began to protest at the same time, but they saw the look on their parents' faces. The decision was made.

"Why can't we both just go then?" Jeff asks, a last ditch effort to at least get away from his parents.

"Marcy doesn't want both of you there, she says you two are too rambunctious, and frankly we agree," Shelia answers.

"What about Y/N? You kicking her out too?" Jeff spits.

"She will remain here and continue caring for you," Matt declares.

"What if she took us away for the rest of the summer? She could take us on vacation and that way we won't cause any more trouble," Jeff tries.

Both boys look to Y/N as she raises her head, their eyes widening in shock. Her cheek was a sickly yellow and her eyes was swollen, the two looking at each other before anger bubbles in Jeff's chest. His hands clench into fists as his eyes narrow, that foggy feeling coming back to him. He wanted to taste that anger, taste the sweet pleasure acting on it would produce. He imagined hurting his father, making him suffer for daring to lay a finger on their beloved Y/N.

"You two won't be rewarded for acting out. My word is final," Matt declares.

With that Liu is carted off to his aunt's. Y/N stuffs his bag with his favorite snacks and his favorite games, pulling him into a tight hug as Jeff watches from afar. He gives his brother a hug before he and Y/N watch as Liu is driven away in his mother's car, his father heading to work and leaving the two of them alone.

"Does it hurt?" Jeff finally asks.

"Not really. It's like a dull ache," Y/N says, heading into the kitchen and making the two of them some instant ramen.

"Why did he hit you?" Jeff asks, watching her work as her usual cheery self.

"Thought I was stepping on their toes. Maybe I was," Y/N smiles, getting the noodles in bowls before they both settle at the table. "Don't worry. You'll probably end up with summer yard work at the worst."

"Why do you believe us?" Jeff asks.

"You don't think I didn't get into any fights? I know what it's like being a teenager. I visited a friend of mine when I was sixteen. She lived in a small town and we were jumped by a few of the popular girls. No one believed they attacked us first. It was much like what happened with you and Liu," Y/N tells him. "They swung first and I made them pay for it. When she started school again they avoided her. Who knew when her body guard would come back."

"But you're so!" Jeff starts.

"Nice? Doesn't mean I don't know when to stand up for myself. I'm sorry I couldn't convince them to let Liu stay. I might have gotten kicked out had I pressed it more," Y/N tells him.

"I'm glad you didn't. I don't know what I'd have done if I had to do this by myself," Jeff chuckles.

"For the trouble you can help me do yard work. I got some wildflower seeds for the garden bed," Y/N smiles.

"You got it," Jeff grins.

Over the next few days the tensions between Jeff and his parents continue to fester, Y/N doing her best to keep the peace. She's worried when she finds out Jeff was being forced to go apologize to the boy who had attacked him but is unable to do anything about it. Instead she sits with Jeff the night before the meeting, the two of them playing on the game cube while his parents slept.

"I hate this. Why should I have to make nice?" Jeff spits in annoyance.

"I know it sucks but make the best of it. Play nice and I'll prepare your favorite for dinner tonight," She tells him with a smile.

"Fine. I better get pie too," Jeff tells her.

"Homemade, just the way you like it," Y/N chuckles. "It'll be okay. Once you make nice this whole thing can get swept under the rug. You'll just have to deal with him in school."

"I bet if you went with he'd shit his pants," Jeff tells her.

"Oh? Never made someone do that before," She remarks. "Would be interesting to try."

"How is it so easy for you? Even people you hate you can make friends with. How?" Jeff asks, his hands pressing away on the controller buttons.

"I had to deal with a lot of people I didn't like. You learn to play nice," She tells him with a shrug of her shoulders. "You'll learn how to do it eventually. Need it for the job."

"Ugh, I'd rather start my own business," Jeff groans in displeasure.

"You still gotta get along with people you don't like to grow it," Y/N tells him with a laugh. "I know it's not fun."

"No kidding," Jeff groans. "Can I just live with you when I get older?"

"Hmm, take care of you forever? What do I get out of it?" Y/N asks him with a smile.

"My undying love?" Jeff tells her with a grin.

"Gotta add more than that," She teases him.

"I'll have to figure that out. Give me a few years?" Jeff asks her.

"Deal," She smiles. "Alright, off to bed."

"Y/N, will you stay with me tonight?" Jeff asks.

"Sure," She smiles, the two getting into Jeff's bed.

Y/N opens her arms and Jeff snuggles into her chest, sighing softly as he closes his eyes. Y/N gently strokes his hair as she hums gently until Jeff falls asleep. She spends a little while longer awake as she thinks about what she could possibly do for the boys. She could only take care of them as much as she could and make sure they knew they had an ally in her. It was the least she could do for them.