Chapter 8

"When do you think you'll be back?" Y/N asks Shelia as Jeff scarfs down his waffles.

"Should be a few hours unless the boys get along well," Shelia tells her, fixing her makeup in her compact. "Matt needs you to bring him lunch to the office."

"Sure, I can do that," Y/N assures her. "Did he say what he wanted?"

"Mmm, no but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Let's go Jeff," Shelia says.

"Jeff," Y/N calls, grabbing his hand and sliding her cell into his hand. "Just in case okay?"

"I'll be okay," He promises but pockets the phone anyway.

Y/N watches them drive away, trying to distract herself for the day. Once lunch comes by she heads to Matt's law firm with lunch. She got an assortment of sandwiches made at the local sandwich shop with trays of condiments, entering the office and smiling as everyone's heads turn.

"Y/N! What a pleasant surprise!" Matt cries. "You brought lunch?"

"I know how hard everyone works. I thought you'd all like some lunch not on your dime," Y/N teases, earning laughter from Matt's fellow lawyers.

"Thank you," He smiles. "Everyone! This is my daughter! Well, adopted daughter."

"You raised her well! Is she married yet? I have a son I'd love to set her up with!" One of the men cries excitedly.

"No way! I'd love to set her up with my son!" Another protests.

"Nah, she's all about the single life. Plus the boys keep her busy," Matt laughs, a proud grin coming to his lips.

Y/N stays and chats with everyone as they enjoy the food she brought, laughing and smiling with everyone. Her smile falls when Matt looks horrified all of a sudden, hurrying over to him.

"Jeff is on the way to the hospital," Matt tells her.

"What?!" She cries, her cheeks paling in shock.

"I've got a client. Do you mind?" He asks.

"Of course. See you later," Y/N says, rushing from the office.

She slams on the gas as she drives to the hospital, parking haphazardly but not caring if she was going to get a ticket or not. She rushes into the hospital, hurrying over to Shelia.

"What happened?" Y/N asks her.

"I was just trying to show Jeff around my house, and wanted to show him the collection of magazines my dad kept in the garage. We were looking through the magazines when Jeff knocked a pile over. He found the box with the flare gun and wouldn't stop playing with it! I begged him to put it down before he got hurt but he wouldn't listen to me. He fished out one of the flares and loaded the gun, waving it around and aiming it at the wall and stuff. He suddenly tripped and the gun went off," Randy explains. "I tried to get him to put it down but he just wouldn't!"

"It's okay sweetie," Randy's mother assures him gently. "Shelia, your boy has been nothing but reckless."

"I know and I'm so sorry! I just can't believe he would do something like that! We've tried to raise him to be good," Shelia cries.

"I gotta go to the bathroom," Randy tells them, his mother nodding before he leaves.

"I need a coffee," Y/N says, the two women giving her no attention before she follows after the boy and his friends.

The three boys head into the bathroom and Y/N follows, closing and locking the door behind her before she makes her presence known to the kids. She pulls out her switchblade and flicks it open, tapping it on the palm of her hand as she narrows her eyes on the boys.

"So, who wants to tell me the truth?" She asks them.

"You can't do anything!" Randy snarls at her.

"Yeah! The police will take you away!" Troy hisses.

"Sure, they will, but I'll have ended all of your lives before then. Now, if you'd like to live then you'll tell me the truth. I can stab you so you die a slow and painful death. Trust me, they'll be able to keep you alive for a few days but the pain will be unbearable," Y/N tells them.

"What's it to you bitch?!" Keith spits.

"You hurt my little brothers and I don't take kindly to my family being hurt. Now, tell me the truth before I get angry," Y/N tells them with a patient smile. "I have all the time in the world. Do you?"

"It was an accident! It slipped from my hands and went off. I didn't mean to," Randy says in a panic, not liking the look in her eyes.

"Why'd you pull it out in the first place?" Y/N asks them.

"To scare him a bit. We just wanted to ruff him up a little for beating us up," Randy tells her.

"Tch, pathetic. You three couldn't even fight without threatening him? Three against one isn't very fair," She tsks, resting the blade against her lips. "What shall I do?"

"We told you the truth. Now let us go! Please!" Randy begs.

"Come here," Y/N tells him.

"You crazy? I'm not stupid bitch! Get out of the way," Randy spits at her.

"That's not how the game works. Come here or I end your pathetic little lives," Y/N growls back.

The three boys exchange glances before Randy steps forward. Y/N grabs his arm and flips his arm over so the forearm was facing her, digging the knife into his skin.

"Hey bitch! That hurts!" Randy screeches, taking a swing at her.

Y/N dodges and twists his arm behind his back before sweeping out his legs and slamming him to the floor. She sits on his back and twists his arm, his friends staring with wide terrified eyes. Y/N is silent as she carves a circle with an X in Randy's arms, getting the other two boys before she pockets her knife.

"Say a word and I'll murder your families. Trust me, I'm crazy enough to do it," She spits before leaving.