Confrontations

The next week passed quickly, too quickly. No one had brought up Katie or Jacob, and Y/N was happy with that. Hermione had slept next to him each night and the two fell comfortably into the routine.

The days were spent relaxing, helping out around the Burrow. Y/N enjoyed feeding the pigs and chickens, helping with small maintenance odd jobs around the house. He loved working with his hands, he yearned for a simple life like this, tending to animals, crops, a family.

To Molly it was a godsend- getting her children to help out could be like pulling teeth and Merlin-forbid she ask them to perform any maintenance. Percy's nose was always in a book, Ron was as lazy as the day was long, Ginny was a child and the twins... she shivered at the thought of what those two would do in the name of 'maintenance'. Y/N though came into his own, any job Molly mentioned was done with a smile on his face, and a bigger one on Hermione's as she watched him.

—~—

Thursday morning came around and for the first time since Katie left Hermione could see sadness on Y/N's face. He helped her pack her belongings before shrinking down her cases and levitating them into his pouch. He turned to Hermione with a sad smile.

"It's gonna be pretty lonely in here without you 'Mione"

Hermione looked at Y/N sadly before barreling into him, hugging him tightly as she replied:

"We'll catch up next week when Penny and Dean are back, ok? I'm going to miss you too Y/N".

As Hermione had looked up she looked into Y/N's eyes. Usually they were a brilliant, sparkling, emerald green and they lit up when he looked at or spoke to Hermione. This morning their colour was dull- Hermione could see the hurt in them. She stroked his face as she looked up at him, he looked down at her.

Knock knock knock

The two looked up from their intent eye contact as Molly looked at the pair with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.

"We're all waiting for you two downstairs. You ready to go dears?"

Hermione nodded, pulling Y/N by the hand. In truth she was excited to travel by Floo for the first time.

They headed downstairs where the family were ready and waiting by the fireplace. Molly grabbed the Floo pot and handed it out, everyone taking a handful as she smiled:

"You go first Harry"

Harry looked terrified.

"But Harry's never traveled by Floo powder before Mum" Ron said to Harry's relief.

"Well you go first, Ron. Show him how it's done" Molly said with a reassuring smile to Harry.

Ron took a handful of the powder and stepped into the fireplace. He threw it down and said loudly "Diagon Alley" before disappearing in a bright green flame.

Everyone stepped back, almost intimidated by the flame. Everyone but him. Hermione laughed to herself. Nothing intimidated him.

Harry took a handful of Floo powder next and stood in the fireplace.

"Remember to speak very, very clearly" Molly reminded Harry who smiled, threw the powder down and yelled loudly:

"Diagonally"

He disappeared in a puff of smoke and green flame.

"Oh for fucks sake" Y/N said as he rubbed his temple. How do these people manage to continually fuck up such simple straightforward things? Molly promptly slapped Y/N on the back of the head again, for swearing, again. She turned to Arthur: