This is my fault

Albus and Minerva raced into the castle in the direction Y/N had flown. They were both painfully aware of the nightmares that had plagued him. Dumbledore assumed by now he was a Seer after learning of his true progenitory line. They both hoped his dreams had been wrong. They followed the trail of carnage, of students who had been literally bulldozed, with a growing sense of dread. Their fears were realised as they rounded the last corner before the library's entrance.

Two students, Hermione Granger and Beatrice Haywood, were both on the floor, petrified. Y/N was leant, on his knees, next to Hermione... staring. Just staring, blankly.

Albus was internally relieved- the two girls were definitely petrified and not deceased. Merlin if they had lost Hermione...

He turned to his old friend and spoke quickly:

"Get the other teachers immediately Minerva, cancel the scheduled Quidditch match and get all students to their common rooms right away. I will despatch Fawkes to the Ministry. Something must be done."

Minerva glanced at Y/N, concerned and pained for the boy and her two petrified students before nodding to her Headmaster and leaving to do as she was asked. Albus breathed deeply before he started to cautiously approach the boy in front of him.

"Y/N words can't express how so-"

Albus cut himself off as he looked down at Y/N. Y/N's arm had shot out to the side, his wand instantly unsheathing and pointing directly between the Headmaster's eyes. He gulped and backed off with his hands raised. Y/N's wand returned to its holster as his arm lowered, the pair returning to silence, staring at the petrified girls in front of them.

—~—

Twenty minutes passed before Minerva arrived back with Severus, Poppy, Pomona, Harry, Ron, Lavender and Cedric.

Cedric rushed to his girlfriend and started crying loudly as Pomona hugged him from side, feeling overwhelmed herself as she looked at her petrified student.

Y/N had still not spoken or even moved, other than to silently brandish his wand whenever Dumbledore had tried to approach Hermione.

"How is Y/N?" Minerva asked Albus gently as she hugged a crying Lavender.

"He is in severe shock Minerva and don't-"

He had tried to warn Harry not to approach but wasn't fast enough, and Harry was shocked to also be met with the pointy end of his best friend's wand aimed between his eyes.

"Y/N will not allow anyone to approach Ms. Granger. I have tried several times and was met with the same reaction." The Headmaster explained sadly.

"We need to move the girls to the hospital wing Headmaster, give them some privacy" Poppy spoke up. Dumbledore nodded but was still unsure how he could get Y/N to allow anyone near her. Severus spoke to the surprise of all present, saying with a tone of concern:

"Allow me to try Headmaster"

Harry and Ron looked at the Potions Master shocked. What good did Snape think he could do? He hated Y/N. He was always giving him weekend detentions. They were further surprised when Snape approached without having a wand drawn on him and leant down, wrapping an arm around Y/N's shoulder from the side.

—~—

Severus instantly spoke to Y/N through legilimency:

I know what you're thinking Y/N, but this isn't your fault.

I failed her Severus. I failed her. She's dead because of me. I failed her. I made her a promise and I failed her.

No Y/N, you are in shock and in pain but you're not looking properly. Look down son. Hermione isn't dead, Y/N. She has been petrified. She will recover but she needs to be moved to the hospital wing.

Y/N's mind went quiet for a moment. Silent tears started to stream down his cheeks as he nodded.

I'll move her, Sev. No one else touches her.

Severus squeezed Y/N one last time before standing, turning to the others and saying:

"Y/N will be moving Hermione. Everyone else keep out the way."

To say the others were stunned at Severus's words would be an understatement. Even Albus was shocked. The group all did as they were asked though, moving back to give Y/N space.

He leant down, stroking Hermione's cheek in a tender moment that broke Minerva and Poppy's hearts to see, before gently picking Hermione's petrified body up bridal style.

He turned slowly and walked carefully towards the hospital wing, tears silently streaming down his face. Severus walked ahead of him, wand drawn, clearing any obstacle as they progressed.

—~—

They arrived at the hospital wing and Y/N carefully and lovingly placed Hermione down on the bed he was directed to as Madam Pomfrey levitated Beatrice to the bed next to it.

Y/N looked down at Hermione petrified- unable to talk, unable to smile, unable to laugh or cry or even think. His bottom lip began to quiver...

He broke.

Tears now fell out of Y/N like never before as he wailed and sobbed his eyes out. Severus placed his hand on Y/N's shoulder in a fatherly way. No words were spoken between the pair. None were needed. He was there for Y/N. That's all that mattered. He felt his heart break for his godson.

—~—

The others arrived several minutes later. Lavender, Harry and Ron cautiously approached Hermione's cubicle along with Professor McGonagall. They were all saddened to see Y/N's red puffy eyes and tear streaked cheeks. They were shocked though to see Professor Snape with his hand on Y/N's shoulder, comforting him.

"Are you ok Y/N?" Professor McGonagall asked tenderly. She was very fond of the two of them, and was genuinely upset to see Hermione in this condition and Y/N in such tremendous pain.

He didn't answer, he merely shook his head no. She looked down and nodded.

"This was found next to Hermione" she said as she held up a jewel encrusted golden hand mirror to the three second year Gryffindors.

"Do any of you know anything about it?"

The three friends shook their heads. Y/N remained unmoved, sobbing quietly. Severus looked at Y/N for a moment before speaking, instructing Minerva to hold the mirror close to Hermione's wrist.

She did and jumped in surprise as it transfigured to a bracelet on Hermione's wrist. Minerva looked at her colleague stunned:

"Severus... How did you know to...?"

Severus tapped his temple.

"Y/N told me. It was a present from the Centaurs to protect Ms Granger when the prophecy of..."

Severus trailed off as Y/N cupped his hand across his eyes. Minerva nodded in understanding. She looked down at Lavender who was still hugging into her crying her eyes out, as well as Harry and Ron and said gently:

"You three need to return to your dorms. I will accompany you."

She looked over at a grief stricken Y/N before turning back to the others:

"Y/N... I don't think we could pull him away if we tried."

The three friends nodded in agreement with her as they left, Harry and Ron attempting to support a distraught Lavender.

When the four had left Severus squeezed Y/N's shoulder lovingly as he said:

"I regrettably must leave to address my house. Any who make light of this situation will be severely reprimanded. I will be back to check on you later, Y/N."

Y/N nodded and said quietly:

"Thank you.... Severus"

The Professor nodded and left, leaving Y/N alone. He stared at the petrified form of the girl he loved. The girl he swore to protect. The girl he failed.

This was all his fault.