(1) The Movie Night

I pulled down my wool beanie to shield my eyes from the brutal winter’s breeze

I pulled down my wool beanie to shield my eyes from the brutal winter’s breeze. The flowing air around me gently pinched my nerves until I could feel Tourette's tics itching inside my head. Normally, on days like this no one would dare catch me outside in the freezing cold, but this was a rare exception. During the extended winter semester at UA, I found myself trudging through the icy sidewalk from the Class H dorms all the way to the Heights Alliance A.

Just my luck that as soon as fall classes were put on hold, I was asked to meet with the Heroics class for costume upgrades. It was my job as class representative to stay on top of those tasks, and thankfully, I wouldn’t be alone doing so.

My vice representative of Class H, Tallulah Rosemary, had been the one to inform me the Heroics Course requested upgrades. She asked me to meet her at their dorms where I could ideally work with all of them with minimal distractions. As the large overhanging sign reading “HEROICS A” came into view, I let out a sigh of gratitude that was visible through the freezing air.

We’re finally here, so you can come out, Cleo, I thought, addressing the undead spirit I sensed beneath my feet.

“It’s about time!” Cleopatra dramatically vocalized as her translucent form phased through the solid ground. “Boy, it is cold out here! Let’s hurry up and get inside.” I was skeptical that the air in my world affected her at all, but it was typical of Cleo to be swept up in the moments and forgetful of her own afterlife.

I’m sure you’ll manage without having to hide underground, I thought to myself, knowing Cleo as a ghost could hear me. I went ahead and knocked on the door, unsure if my efforts made a sound, but I hoped it would at least keep Cleo from complaining.

“Soooo,” Cleo started in a sing-song and cheery voice as always. “Are you excited to work with your class? I never get to meet any of your other friends, so I know I am!”

I drew out another breath and watched it fan out under the cold temperatures.

This isn’t my class, and I would hardly call them friends. I barely know these people, so, no, I’m not all that thrilled. 

Working with people I wasn’t already close to was a challenge for me. I’ve been deaf since I was ten, and even then, I don’t always know what to say, or write, to people when they’re talking to me. Hero students are even more of a challenge though. They almost never know any specifics when it comes to their costume other than they want it to be “cool” or “epic.” Collaborations like these were always a pain.

As soon as the large, wooden doors opened up, Cleo floated behind me. For such a talkative spirit, she could be cautious around new people. However, the face that greeted us at the door was one she was all too familiar with.

“It’s Rose!” Cleo perked up and swerved from behind me to eagerly wave at my classmate in front of us.

I looked up to Rose. We’ve been friends for a while, but I still couldn’t brush off the fact she was nearly a foot taller than me. Regardless, I greeted her with the sign motion that moved my flat palm off my forehead and slightly out to her to say hello.