(3) We Fought With Robots

My fingers curled around the blue and red coats of the opened wires, holding them in place as I worked

My fingers curled around the blue and red coats of the opened wires, holding them in place as I worked. Detailed wiring was never something I would look forward to, but I at least knew what I was doing. I had crafted the exoskeleton of the nero- transmitting headband for Class A's Hikaru Akiba. It wasn't often that Heroics students would request something this complicated, but the guy made his request very specific to his Quirk.

The headband would be able to receive electromagnetic pulses by the brain waves of him and anyone he can read the minds of. Then, the band would be programmed to convert those into energy the same way Rose uses her mind to control her bionics. The only difference would be Akiba could use his energy waves as attack emitters.

That was just his idea for the gadget. When he approached me at the beginning of the year to ask, I already had Remata claiming I couldn't handle it. After all, she was the skilled programmer of 1-H, fully prepared to take on something this complex. Even if I had no clue where to start, I at least couldn't give her the satisfaction of watching me give up.

I've managed to stay completely focused while working with the wires. The countless times I've witnessed Rose curse at her projects after a nasty shock were enough to make me cautious. The electro-magnets attached to the inside of his band were already powered up and ready to be connected to the emitters. I used my wire scissors to remove the protective plastic around them and carefully slid the wires near their opened socket.

The only way to avoid electric sparks was complete focus and precision. I had to clear my head of any distractions, leaving myself in silence with only the wires and my exposed fingers. The copper ends of the wires inched closer and closer to their socket, just millimeters away from being a disaster. I held my breath and began to finish until-

"You're doing it wrong."

Startled by this voice, my hand twitched and flicked the charged wires against the metal base of the band, sending a jolt of electricity through my hand. I acted fast to hold my wrist against my chest, feeling my arm begin to buzz and tingle with the electric energy.

"What now?" I asked the voice in my head, having a good idea of who barged in with his advice.

I turned my head up to watch Edison's ghost phase up through my work space as he preached on.

"You're using the wrong length wire. Sure, the 57 centimeter wire will fit the band fine, but it lacks the opportunity to extend the design further," he droned.

I rolled my eyes while he continued on and on about what I was doing wrong. I let him talk while I opened up my drawer and pulled out some first-aid wraps for my blistering hand. The wires only shocked my finger temporarily, but every few seconds, I'd be reminded of it through small shivers sent up my arm. It was just what my tics needed that day.

"Maybe I didn't want to extend my design," I told Edison. "This guy's idea is complicated enough. I don't need the extra work."